+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Waders

Hybrid View

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Question Question on Waders

I have read through the several threads on waders and haven't found an answer to my questions. I have Hogeman hip and chest PVC waders with the built in lug sole boot. Not had a problem with either pair, though I have only used them on 6 or 7 time each. But that is not my question.

I am looking to get our son chest waders, but there are myriad options available; neoprene, breathable, PVC, Goretex, stocking foot or boot, felt or lug sole or lug sole with replaceable studs, zip, no zip, wading boots, and so on. So, here is my question - My son gets cold in his hip waders, Hogeman PVC, in waters that I stay quite comfortable wearing the same thing, wearing basically the same things under the waders, wool socks & jeans. Now to keep him warm while wading, I figure PVC isn't the way to go, and stocking foot is also pretty much ruled out since they require wading boots, and we don't want to be spreading any diseases, so felt soles are out. So its now a lug booted wader, but what material? Looking to keep the price reasonable, <<$200, and that we fish cold mountain streams and rivers, what would you suggest that would 1) Keep him warm, 2) keep him dry and 3) not break the bank.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I would first consider changing the clothing worn with the waders or nippers. Cotton does a very poor job of wicking moisture away from the skin. Dry skin stays warmer. Much better to have a material that wicks moisture away from the skin. There all all sorts of thermal undergarments that come in light, medium, and heavy weight styles designed for skiing, fishing, and other cold weather sports that can be worn under a light weight pair of pants made from synthetic materials such as the styles with zip off legs. Ditching the cotton jeans just might be the answer. I use REI Power Dry bottoms and REI Sahara pants but there are many other similar products. If that is not warm enough I add a pair of fleece pants.

Breathable bootfoot waders are hard to find. Most anglers have gone away from neoprene in favor of breathable materials. But Cabelas and Bass Pro sell bootfoot neoprene chest waders for around $200. On both websites search fur hunting waders as you won't find these in the fishing sections. And I would still recommend against wearing cotton under neoprene waders.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 08-01-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Blog Entries

an avid outdoorswoman once told me, "Cotton kills." In cool weather it sucks away any heat you've generated because it holds the sweat. the cheap alternative for under your waders is polyester fleece. doesn't have to be fancy; does have to be not cotton. polyester is the way to go because it will wick away the sweat.

after trying both kinds in winter, i found the neoprenes just not warm enough. breathables were the most comfortable, with longjohns and fleece underneath. wool socks are essential.

don't know how big your boy is, but my first outfit came from Bass Pro, stocking foot with separate boots, recommended as better for walking in to the fishing. even bigger kid sizes are cheaper than adult stuff, dunno why.

oh, and make sure to wear fleece and/or wool on top too. some folks just are colder than others (especially if they are smaller) and might need a stocking cap or even better, a neck gaiter. that little extra around your neck is as good as an extra sweater.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    don't know how big your boy is, but my first outfit came from Bass Pro, stocking foot with separate boots, recommended as better for walking in to the fishing. even bigger kid sizes are cheaper than adult stuff, dunno why.
    Sorry, I should have said that our son is a big boy, 6'2" 220 lb and 39 years old.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I recommend Bass Pro's White River waders. I've had mine for several years and the price is right, especially when on sale. I also suggest sock footed breathable over boot attached. I wear neoprene booties over one or two pair of wool socks, long johns, tech pants, and then fleece pants if needed. I've stood waist deep in Pennslyvania streams for ten hours pushing ice out of the way the try for steelhead. Occasional snow showers were ignored under wool sweaters and GoreTex rain jacket. I was also able to move fairly easily. Layering is key to handling cold. You must keep dry so taking layers off as you warm up and putting them back on as you cool down is important.

As already been mentioned, ditch the cotton. As far as waders go, I wear breathable and have worn them with temps in single digits. I just wear wicking thermal underwear and fleece pants underneath. In warmer temps I wear a pair of nylon quick dry pants. My waders are stocking foot and my boots are the new non slip rubber sole. Haven't used felt in years, but I fish mostly spring creeks with grass banks and could not get a good grip with felt.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Inexpensive breathable waders can be problematic sometimes when it comes to leaks. I have good success with Albright's Trinity waders which are about $100 and occasionally on sale for much less. Albright is a sponsor of this website.

Thee years ago I bought 3 pairs at about $60 on special hoping to get one season out of a pair before tossing them. I have about 75 days of float tubing on the first pair and they are still going strong. Wading boots can be found for around $100.

Just a personal thing and I make absolutely no claim that this is good for anyone else. I hate being cold and I'd rather be on the warm side of the cold/hot spectrum. I'll even sacrifice a little sweat rather then be chilled or have numbed toes. Therefore, I almost exclusively wear 3mm neoprene waders. I can always adjust what I wear under them. As far as which manufacturer or model, I buy inexpensive ones and replace them as needed. I usually get 3 or 4 years out of a pair.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

When it's really cold (< 40 degrees), I wear my neoprene waders with my bicycling tights underneath them. I think my tights are lycra with a thin layer of thermofleece. I've been fishing all the way down to 35 degrees with no problems. From 65 degrees down to around 40, I just wear my neoprene waders and bicycle shorts, or wool tights. Warmer than 65 degrees, I dispense with waders and wet wade.

+ Reply to Thread