+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader

Default Leader

What type of leader should I use with the "goldie" streamer? I have a 9' 5wt rod with floating line? http://www.crossroadsanglers.com/goldie.html I want to fish 0 to 6ft deep.

Use a knotted leader.

Blog Entries

This will be a true 'Chuck & Duck' style casting of the fly. It is going to be VERY heavy depending upon which beads are used. If you are going after a predator fish like a bass, then you can use a straight leader like a Maxima Ultragreen would do just fine. For trout, a tapered leader may be necessary, but you will need to use a heavy enough leader to carry the weight of the streamer. Have fun. Larry ---sagefisher---

A 7 furled leader made from 4 lb. test Fluorocarbon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    A 7 furled leader made from 4 lb. test Fluorocarbon
    Good idea Jack, but I think I would go with a 4 or 5 foot leader with that heavy of fly...add 2-3 feet of fluorocarbon tippet and you are in business.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad:
    After taking a good look at the fly I agree. Something like what they use for big steamers down here.

Just my thoughts after looking at the many different versions of this pattern. The only real weight would be the bead because mylar/tinsel does not absorb water. One should be able to fish this without too much "chuck and duck" problems. This could be tied using a brass bead instead of tungsten.

Just my thoughts and nothing more.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I'd use a type II sinking fly line with a 3 feet of straight fluorocarbon. Type II sinking line sinks at the rate of 2 feet every 10 seconds.

You are not going to be able to fish that fly at a level depth with a floating fly line below a couple of feet. Every retrieve will bring that fly up, but a type II line will retrieve the fly at the level you count down to.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Just wondering why some folks would recommend using an expensive flourocarbon leader with a relatively large, heavy, and very flashy fly like a Goldie.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher7 View Post
    Just wondering why some folks would recommend using an expensive flourocarbon leader with a relatively large, heavy, and very flashy fly like a Goldie.
    Two reasons:

1 The original poster wanted to fish 1-6 feet deep

2 Using a furled fluorocarbon leader eliminates the need for a sink tip line...they sink like a stone

By the way, at $9.00 each, a furled fluorocarbon leader really is not that expensive seeing they will last a year or 2 with reasonable care.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread