+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass from the Yak

Default Bass from the Yak

Not much of a story here.

My best friend since Public School (Grade School) called and asked if I wanted to head up to his cottage on The Trent near Campbellford for a few days this week. He has never been a fishing addict, but he has always been my enabler. He would drive the boat any time I wanted to fish.
    This time I took the kayak up and while I was out fishing, he was content to putter around and drink beer. We both did what we wanted to do.
    We arrived separately around noon and started with Local Hot sausages and buns on the BBQ and several cool beers to wash down the road dust.
    I put the kayak in the water , loaded the gear and drifted out to the other side on the river to cast into the shaded areas under the trees. Almost as soon as the fly hit the water there was a splash and it was on. More misses than hits but lots of top water action.

I caught and released a couple and remembered the camera was in the truck still so I thought I better paddle over and get it in case I tied into a big one.

Besides, it was an opportunity to grab another cold one.

Top action stopped so I switched gears to weighted flies and the action continued till dinner.

Got a few off the dock after BBQed Steaks and shrimp dinner and retreated from the mosquitoes to the screened porch for after dinner drinks. Talked about Old Times and listened to old tunes till after Midnight and I hit the sack.

6:00 in the morning and the river was quiet and still.

They had not opened the Lock system yet so there was little or no current to be seen.

Pushing off into the mist in the kayak was a treat shared only by a pair of squawking Blue Herons . The morning was slightly chilly but I was surprised by the warmth I felt of the fist fish I caught as I dipped my hand over the side of the kayak to pick him up. Back to the cottage for Coffee and a muffin and the rest of the day was spent floating around and catching fish.

Small Mouths pound for pound I think are one of the hardest fighting freshwater fish. Even the smaller fish would bend the rod down and almost under the kayak at times. I lost count of how many fish I lost by them diving down into the heavy weeds and snapping off or hanging me up so all I reeled in was a handful of ?salad?. I don?t know how many I caught, I only took pictures of the ones that were spectacular fighters and reviewing the photos they don?t look nearly as big and tough as I remembered.

I paddled down the river a ways and around a small island but nowhere was the bite as good as right across the river from the cottage?..huh. Next time up there, I am headed around the big island for what they call Musky Bay, taking the 8wt, some ?Tuff Line? (a pliable wire leader material) and some ugly musky/pike flies that I will try to heave at those toothy bastages I know are lying there.
    I can say I can?t remember another day when every cast was at least a bump, a hit and miss or a fish.

A Good old friend, great food, copious amounts of Adult Beverages and enough fish to make the tendonitis flare up again.
    It?s not Heaven????but I think you could see it from there.

DuFf

Small Mouths pound for pound I think are one of the hardest fighting freshwater fish
    Couldn't agree more with this statement! Looks like a fun time!

It looks like heaven to me.

Oh what a terrible way to spend a few days, you poor thing.

Not much of a story! You probably think "War and Peace" was a great novella! I can only dream of such a story! Good for you!
    Mike

I believe you found the front yard of Heaven. What a great story of your time spent with an old friend and the time spent on the water. Beautiful lake and congrats on the catch.

Duff, I don't know why you are not overrun with tourists in the summer. Good immigration control I guess. That is beautiful country, I have been wanting to come up and fish ever since I visited Peterborough back in the early '90's on business.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Got a passport?.....com'on up.

Got to leave yer guns at home but y'all are welcome eh.

I'll leave the porch light on and the cooler full eh

Be careful what you say, I do have a vaid passport and only 30 minutes to the airport. LOL

jimp, I will have to admit my passport is expired but you would be hard put to find a pretty part of the world in the summer time. You might want to plan on 2014, there is no way we will get two summer as cool as this one has been down here or as wet.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread