+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Click and Pawl Reel

Default Orvis Click and Pawl Reel

Does anyone care to share their reviews (opinions) on the Orvis Click and Pawl Battenkill fly reel? I searched the site and saw no discussions.
    Thanks

I bought one for a little brookie rod right when hey came out. I bought the smallest one.
    I fished it for a week in the Smoky and didn't have any problems with it.
    They are light and pretty well built. The spool is narrow, so it won't take a lot of backing on it.

They come set up for left hand retrieve, but can be switched to right hand retrieve. *

It has a drag system that can be changed to four different positions.
    There is a small block that pushes against a spring. The little post that the block sits on is mounted of center.
    By rotating the block on the post, it will put a different amount of pressure on the spring.
    The position that puts the thinnest part of the block against the spring will have the least amount of drag.
    The position that puts the thickest part of the block against the spring will have the most amount of drag.

* Some of the first models have a problem when converted to RHR.
    The drag wouldn't work as designed when set up for RHR.
    The problem has since been fixed. If you have one of the old ones, Orvis will replace it.

I hope this helps.

Brian

There's 22 customer reviews on the Orvis website...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7H9P...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

The Orvis click and pawl reel is very light and balances well on the newer generation of very light rods. It looks and feels like an inexpensive reel, but it functions well in smaller sizes where a strong, adjustable drag is not really essential. I have not had any problems with my 4 weight reel, although it does not really get used too often and certainly is not ever stressed very heavily.

My opinion is that this is a very good reel in the lighter weights, provided that you don't view a reel as a status symbol.

I've had an Orvis Battenkill for about 20 years. For many years it was my everyday small stream trout reel and it made a few trips to larger western rivers. They are light, durable and trouble-free in my experience. I don't use mine very much any more, but I think they would be a great choice for small stream trout fishing. If long runs aren't a factor, there isn't as much value in a disk drag and you'll get a lighter reel for less money.

I have several 5/6 click drag Battenkills and several disc drags 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 love them all especially the made in England models. Only had a problem with one which was made in China where the spool was not interchangeable with another frame. I just marked the frame and spool to keep them together. I love them good serviceable reels but don't bring the ohhs and ahhs of some folks. The trout don't seem to mind a blue collar reel.

Thumbs up

Bought a new click and pawl Battenkill I when they first came out this year to use on my 6' 2 weight Superfine Trout Bum rod.

It easily holds 75 yds of 20 lb backing with a WF2F line - if I remember correctly, Orvis told me it would take 100 yds with a WF2F line.

The spool is narrow, which effectively eliminates line stack when retrieving line. Fit and finish are excellent, and the drag is enough to prevent backlashing even when stripping line off hard on the lowest drag setting. Mine came set on the lowest drag setting, and I haven't felt the need to change it.

Overall, I feel it's one of the best reels Orvis has produced since the original CFO. I really like it!

Yep, but they haven't owned long enough to give a fair assessment. But, thanks for it it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    There's 22 customer reviews on the Orvis website...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7H9P...

+ Reply to Thread