+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Vetteri's Custom (Made For Your Rod) FC, Tapered, Furled T-Lines

Default John Vetteri's Custom (Made For Your Rod) FC, Tapered, Furled T-Lines

As will be explained below this is not something that is right for every T-fisher in every Tenkara fly fishing situation. But if you are looking for the ultimate line for your particular rod. If it is a rod that needs and could benefit from a special line to meet your fishing needs, then John is The Man you should looking for to fill those T-line needs. http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/showth...-John-Vetterli

I know John makes a very good line. I'm curious though as to what makes them the IT line? I'm interested in what characteristics it is that differ from others.

Brandon
    Last edited by moonlitflies; 07-27-2013 at 02:44 PM.

You would have to read the thread presented to answer your question at least in part. But here is some additional information. From the way it is presented it is not clear who's information it is - John's or Eiji Yamakawa's. But since John is using Eiji's info as a basis for his lines and adapts them to the FC tippet materials that he (John) uses, adapted to the rod make and model that you have, I believe it is timely and useful information. http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/showth...urled%29-lines

Thanks Golden. I've read of how he makes them and know he makes s great line., so was just curious.

Brandon

Brandon, I know you also make high quality and great casting T-fishing lines, this was not intended to be a slight toward you or any other line maker that is out there. I believe what gives John a real advantage over the other line makers is that he has been in a unique position to be able to test many different rods for Tenkarabum and some of the Japanese rod companies independently, and he has developed line weights and tapers (40 at his latest count I believe) for most of the different rods that are available for we fixed line anglers to use with out having to buy the rods for himself, which would include both Tenkara and Keiryu rods. I'm not sure if he has evaluated any of the Seiryu rods or not. And, of course, he has used and tested TUSA's rods as well. The breath of that knowledge and experience is unique and unparallelled in the line making universe I believe. If I am wrong, please correct me on this. I am sure there are many anglers here who would like to hear about your views on furled line construction and how you go about designing and building the lines that you offer for sale. Please enlighten us if you so kindly could....Golden.

I guess I could have come across as slighted, but I'm not. I simply was trying to understand the characteristics that his lines have. I consider myself a furler who is constantly trying to learn more to fit my customers needs and wants. A good taper is vital in a good line. To me an extremely important part of a furled tenkara line is how bulky and heavy it is. Most of the complaints I have read of furled line is how heavy it feels on delicate rods. I believe this to be something I have been able to accomplish with my line. Again I asked the question because he does have a vast amount of experience using different rods than I have, so if I can learn from his knowledge and implement in my own I become yhat much better. I do appreciate your comments on the various topics and thoughts. As far as my thought process I go through when developing a different line I sale is first looking at different materials. No two materials are alike in what they do. I'm a bit of what you would say new age I guess in that I'm a firm believer in the blending of two materials to give me a good blend of the two characteristics. Finding the right mixture is always a fun process. Right now I finished a new line series that I believe to be a great product for those T-Anglers who are still water fishing. I have been using it all summer along with a couple friends of mine, one of which came to me asking questions on a different custom leader for his western set up. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, if there is something else let me know. I love the art of furling, and believe them to be the best and most versatile lines around. If properly made they should perform in any situation one may come across.

Brandon
    Last edited by moonlitflies; 07-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Brandon, I believe there may be a need for lighter weight tapered lines for Seiryu rods. I believe these could start out with FC tippet material as light as 7 or 6X, and working your way up to the thicker diameters for the mid and butt sections. Something like 5X or 4X for the mid section, and probably going no heavier than 3X in the butt section of the line. Two strands for the tip section, 3 strands for the mid section, and 4 or so strands for the butt section ought to do it for a line as long as the rod to a foot or two shorter than rod length for most anglers. This would be considerably lighter than anything John has done with his heavier line rods. But sense these rods can cast #1, 2 and at the most #3 lines very effectively but don't handle much wind well, a slightly heavier tapered line might handle the wind a lot better and give enhanced accuracy in those kinds of conditions. Plus enhanced visibility. I have done similar things with Hand-Tied Mono FC lines and they have worked pretty well for me, but I can't get the HiVis lines in small enough diameters to make the lines as visible as I would like them to be. Just some random thoughts for your possible motivation and consideration now and in the future.
    Last edited by Golden; 07-27-2013 at 11:29 PM.

The way I construct my lines is different than John. Mine are made in a on step process using the same size material throughout. I am working on a line that will be vastly similar to John's but my own unique idea that no one has done.

Brandon

Brandon, that is most interesting. Please keep the board members here informed on your progress and your new developments in line making. There is room for everyone to contribute to the Tenkara community's angling knowledge on this form. From the hit numbers it is evident that a lot of people are reading what is posted here. Some of those people must also go Tenkara fly fishing as well. How about members putting up more Tenkara fly fishing reports? I would like to know what other fixed line anglers are doing and how well things, flies, lines and angling techniques are working out for them. I think we can all benefit from that kind of exchange on this board.

+ Reply to Thread