Thread: Bark Grips

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    H have a cheap rod given me by a recently decease friend. It has a foam grip, which I think is the worse of all materials for a grip. I was thinking of trying to make a grip from pine bark but noticed I have a pretty good supply of white oak falling into my yard. I picked up a 4" stack in a few minutes at lunch. Now what? I was thinking of cutting circles with my hole saws. Is there somewhere I can find guidance?
    Lots of decent advise here ... I sometimes have issues getting words into pictures my brain can understand. I do a lot of Bark grips and like the way they look. Here's a tutorial I did a few years ago with pics for those challenged http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/...on Hossack.pdf

What they look like and it is slightly heavier than cork but certainly lighter than the burl cork being used so much these days. I have one I hope to finish this week for Quad 3wt for hopefully my first fishing trip of the year in MT in a couple of weeks.

Doug Fir is good for other uses beside firewood

If this tutorial interests you I have altered some of the ways I do things and can point you to another mini version
    Last edited by caddisfly777; 09-23-2013 at 12:20 PM.