+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prescription polarized Sunglasses ??

Default prescription polarized Sunglasses ??

I had some prescription polarized sunglasses that were done where I get my daily use glasses but found the polarized sunglasses to be lacking.After falling a couple of times on a recent trip I looked through a fishing partner's glasses and was surprised how much better I could see. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I searched the previous discussions and found Smith optics to be frequently recommended. Any others ? my eyes are pretty bad so I can't use the flak jacket curved style like some of the Oakleys. style doesn't matter in terms of looks ,to me .i'm just interested in getting the best polarized glasses to fit my prescription.
    Thanks .
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I use Specsavers, not sure if specsavers are in the USA? They have polarised available in about 4 shades, I always go for the very dark ones. My eyes are pretty bad but for an extra hundred bucks or so they can make them on extra thin lenses which makes them easier to fit in most frames. My first prescription polarised glasses where like thick beer bottle bottoms, but the newer thin lenses are great.
    If you don't mind the look of them some of the fit over polarised glasses work quite well, but I find them a pain over a whole days fishing.
    All the best.
    Mike

I have polarized prescription and I'm satisfied. However, I haven't made any comparisons so my opinion is very limited.
    You can also try the polarized lenses that slip over your prescription glasses. That way you can actually try them without buying them.

I have been wearing RayBan polarized sunglassess for 3 years now from Lenscrafters. Love them. Can't wear wraps either. I have the smaller-framed Wayfarers.

Ralph

thanks folks.I have apair of Fit overs and use them in a emergency but they bother me a bit and seem to slide some.
    Ralph, I'll take a look at the Ray- Bans.Ill check out the Wayfarers.
    Mike, I'll do a search on the Specsavers. My experience is like yours with the fit overs.some really like them but I get distracted by them throughout the day.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Many prescription frames today are available with clip on sunglasses held in place by magnets. I had a pair I like a lot. Lately I have been using the clips ons from wallyworld that match my lens pretty close and are very affordable at $10 - 15 per pair. I like the brown lens but would really like a pair in yellow for low light conditions.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Many prescription frames today are available with clip on sunglasses held in place by magnets. I had a pair I like a lot.
    Me too. I am on my second pair and just love them. I have the brown lenses and they work good for me.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

i have a pair of standard polarized sunglasses that look like my regular glasses. they work fine for everyday use, driving, being out side, etc. however for fishing they suck. too much light comes in from the side and adds too much glare which ruins the polarization. so I typically use fitover type sunglasses. these are a pain because they do slip and are uncomfortable for a full days fishing and more so for multi-day trips. my cousin has Maui Jim Rx sunglasses and he loves them. these are wrap around but not as sever as oakley. the Rx is in a limited area of the glass, which means your peripheral vision is bad. go to a full serve glasses shop and not the low budget ones to get the quality you need. They will cost $400 to $500 but will last as long as your Rx is stable.

I also went prescription sunglasses. The first pair were Action optics, which were very good but lacked side shields. So light in from the side was a problem.
    Now i have a pair of Maui Jim prescription glasses and they are very good and with the frames i have i do not have a problem with light coming in the side
    The only drawback is the price they are not cheap but they will be what i will replace them with when i get another pair.
    Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by rizeye View Post
    i have a pair of standard polarized sunglasses that look like my regular glasses. they work fine for everyday use, driving, being out side, etc. however for fishing they suck. too much light comes in from the side and adds too much glare which ruins the polarization.
    They make slip on side shield for safety purposes, I will check around my computer bags and see if I have a pair left from a visit to an industrial site. If I do I will PM you and mail them to you. Home Depot may have them but I don't think they do. If you can find a pair, you could spray paint them to totally block out light.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread