+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do you get trout to hit in warm weather??????

Hybrid View

Default how do you get trout to hit in warm weather??????

this year i had the BEST sucees to date on my favorite stream. its not a big stream but has some deep holes and holds BIG trout. a 3 week stretch in the middel of May was incredaible and then the heavy rains came for about three straight weeks. when i could fish it again i caught a few but you could tell it was changing as the chubbs and bass were not hitting. right now the stream has dropped but still very fishable yet the water is like bath water in the bass are hammering anything i throw at them. i KNOW exactly where a couple of the big trout hold but can not for the life of me draw a strike from them. i fish early morings mainly and i'm scrathing my head trying to figure out how to catch a few more trout. any ideas, suggestions or help????

If the water is bath water warm the trout are in absolute survival mode. when the water is much above 75 degrees there is not enough oxygen for them., I would fish for the bass until the weather and water cools

I agree with okflyfisher -- it's best not to fish for trout when the water is that warm. Some of the streams around here got to about 70 degrees during the recent heat wave. I caught trout during that time by moving to streams with more springs that were running about 60 degrees. I also broke out the bass gear and went to larger, warm water streams. You might also be able to find spots on your favorite stream that are cooler where there are springs or cold water tribs entering the stream. This time of year (and in winter) it pays to carry a stream thermometer.

As said, focus on Spring creeks and feeder streams. I tend to also limit my outings to dawn/dusk fishing as well.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by adkmountainken View Post
    i KNOW exactly where a couple of the big trout hold but can not for the life of me draw a strike from them. i fish early morings mainly and i'm scrathing my head trying to figure out how to catch a few more trout. any ideas, suggestions or help????
    Unless you have actually seen the trout, I suspect they have migrated into the cooler feeder streams OR into a spot that has feeder springs with cool water.

I fish a river that has a small feeder from a spring. It is hidden by cover and looks like an area of slack water and yet that side of the river is 6 degrees cooler than the other side. The trout stack up below that inlet.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Tempt them with an Iced Tea Fly........

I took care of a trout nursery for 12 years.When the water temperature hit 70 degrees I would cut way back on feed.low oxygen too much stress on the fish.

Don't fish for trout if the water temp is over 70 unless you are keeping them to eat. The stress of catching them is enough to kill them when the oxygen in the water is that thin, even if you release them uninjured.

In Connecticut, when things get warm, there are prohibitions against fishing in, or near, cooler water feeder streams. Don't other places have similar regulations?

+ Reply to Thread