+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Site for Grandpappy Glasses!

Hybrid View

Default A Site for Grandpappy Glasses!

Yes, pun intended.

Fishing report about gar and my desire for polarized lenses.

I mean no offense by the term "Grandpappy Glasses", for those who may be sensitive to such labels. I've just never seen these on anyone not old enough to be my grandfather. I plan to buy some and wear them with pride as a 28 year old carper, slaying monster fish and watching the world beneath the haze of the surface.

Does anyone have any experience fishing with something like these polarized over-the-lense covers? I don't want to fork out the $$ for prescription lenses, nor contacts.

The gar pictures. Does anyone ever target these?

All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

As far as the Gar go, I have caught them by accident while fishing for another species.

As far as the "Grandpappy" glasses go, I would love to find some that did work for me. I wear prescription no-line glasses with clip-on sunglasses and those that you showed, I feel would work better, but, I have tried them and do not like them. First they start to become heavy after a short while and they do not stay put and when they come in contact with my prescription glasses, they move them and I cannot see properly. I sweat easily and that is what causes them to start to slide down my nose and when they do that, they rest against my prescription glasses and cause them to move.

I really do wish I could find some similar that worked for me but they may work fine for you.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My son wears them all the time with no problems.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

I bought a pair of inexpensive Grandpappy polarized sunglasses this spring. Got the bronze and they help a lot with my no line bifocals, plus enhance contrast. Used the clipons last year, black polarized, and was never real happy with them. Now I use the wearovers for everything, driving, fishing, golf, whatever. Big advantage to be able to see thing near and far (mine are for reading and near vision. I am fine without glasses for distance, just don't want to be putting on and taking off reading glasses.)
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Yes. Cocoons are the best I've purchased. I've also used the cheap ones offered at local drug stores. They work. Then I got contacts.

I don't target Gar, exclusively. When I fish a local ditch, I will cast to them. Most are laying on the bottom and won't hit unless you drag the fly right in front of their nose. They are a ball until you get them on shore and the wrap themselves up in the leader.

I tried the fit overs but found them to be very hot so they are collecting dust in the shed.

I just bought a pair of Cocoon amber polarized over-glasses and a pair of Cocoon yellow polarized clip-ons. I've tried them on but haven't used them while fishing yet.

I've caught short nose gar on flies in the past. So far this year, all my hook ups got thrown when the gar jumped and shook their heads.

What fly/ size worked for you, Anthony?
    Last edited by FishnDave; 07-28-2013 at 03:55 AM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    What fly/ size worked for you, Anthony?
    I was tossing a double-rig: a size 8 bead-head soft hackle with a black mohair leech, same size. They hit the bead-head more often.
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

+ Reply to Thread