+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing a reel seat

Hybrid View

Default Replacing a reel seat

How hard is it? I have an old fiberglass 5wt that I'd like to use, but the reel seat is worn and the rings won't hold a reel for more than about 2-3 casting strokes. I'd like to replace the seat but I'm not sure how to start, or if it'll even be worth it.

Any help given is greatly appreciated. I'm at work now, but will try to post pics of the seat later this evening.

Thanks.

First, get the old reel seat off.
    The reel seat is probably held on by some sort of glue or epoxy. Hopefully, it's not too stout.

Boil a pot of water and put the butt end of the rod in a heavy plastic bag.
    Dip the bag into the boiling water to weaken the glue. You should be able to pull the reel seat off.
    It may take a little time, depending on the glue/epoxy used. Some good gloves will help.
    While the glue is still soft on the rod blank, scrape it off the best you can. Use a plastic scraper to prevent damaging the rod blank.

To replace the reel seat:
    It's a lot easier if you find a reel seat with the same dimensions.
    Use a two part eopxy to put the new on on.....like rod bond or somthing similar.
    Be sure to line up where the reel attaches to the rest of the rod.

The inside of the reel seat will likely be larger than the diameter of the blank where it fits.
    Build up some arbors with strips of tape on the blank to make the reel seat fit even and snug, then do the epoxy work.
    Last edited by bgreer; 07-23-2013 at 07:07 PM.

bgreer has a good grasp of what it takes to replace a reel seat. I've built a dozen rods over the years, including bamboo. He is absolutley correct to point out that selection of a reel seat that has the same dimensions as the old one will save you a lot of headaches. I have removed seats with a dremel tool by slitting it on both sides following the edge of my bench as a guide. Best wishes

Hi NC,

Question, is the reel seat on your rod just a pair of rings over a cork center, where you just slide the rings together over the feet of the reel, or is it something else? It makes a difference in how you get the old seat off, and for the repacement hardware.

The reason I asked is that from your comments I thought that perhaps it was the double ring type.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    a pair of rings over a cork center, where you just slide the rings together over the feet of the reel
    Sort of. It's an end cap and a ring over a cork center. The lower foot of the reel goes in the end cap and the ring slides down over the top foot.

Suggestions on how to fix my problem?

Sounds to me like the cork under the reel seat is compressed. Try steaming the cork before you remove it. May or may not work, but worth a shot in my book.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread