+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on line length

Hybrid View

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Question Question on line length

I am still learning to cast a fly, or rather the line. I see references about "strip off about 30 feet of line" in J. Castwell's articles on casting. My question is, is that in reference to 30 feet of fly line which would be about 40 feet total or 30 feet including leader and tippet? I get the impression that it is the latter, but then I think maybe it is 30 feet of line off the reel for a total cast length of 40 or so feet.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this and should just cast to the fish.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I mostly fish freestone streams in the Seattle area. Lot's of times there is not a lot of room for a backcast, so a lot of roll casts.
    Last edited by holensum; 07-23-2013 at 03:49 AM.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Fly line weights are based on the first thirty feet of line. by stripping off thirty feet of fly line plus whatever leader you have you are getting enough line to load your rod properly if you have a balanced outfit.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

That make sense. Never thought of that reason. Thanks.
    Gordon

Well, let's say you're ready to begin practicing. You need to 'string ' your rod(put leader and line through the eyes and out the tip top) and should have roughly a 9' leader/tippet with a tiny fuzzball thingy at the end(so you can see how and where your 'fly' is going) plus about 3 feet of line sticking out from the tip top of the rod. NOW follow J. Castwell's instructions!
    If you took your rod/reel and just walked out to a lawn without 'stringing' and stripped off 30' of line from the reel, that line would simply be piled under you on the lawn.

To clarify, that is 30 feet of fly line outside the rod tip. For rank beginners, I suggest going up one line size and our TU chapter use 6 wt lines on 5 wt rods to teach casting.

A beginner should not actually start with 30 ft of line but work their way up to 30 feet. Start with about 10-15 feet and then extend line as your loop formation improves.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Gee, now why didn't I think of that? Getting the line out that little thingy at the end would make it so much easier to toss the line out in front of me. Thanks for the chuckle Allen, I needed it today.

I have this absolutely huge backyard that I practice in. Its of 300 by 300. Well, in inches anyway, in feet it 25 by 25. Ain't it wonderful living in a modern subdivision. All of .2 acre lot with a house right in the middle of it. Oh well, at least from the corner of the deck, to the corner of the yard it is right at 30 - 35 feet. So, it's just about the right distance, maybe a little short, but a good distance for the for me. For the backcast, I have the distance for 30 - 40 feet of line, but I have to put it through about a 4 - 5 foot gap between my house and the neighbor's shed, which if I screw up there is this nice puddle of line in front draping over my shoulder with the end behind. But it is also good, cause I can use the 3 rose bushes in the corner as targets. They are about 2 - 3 feet apart and make good targets for the little fuzzball thingy.

So, I have space, barely, to practice in the backyard. Got a 9' 5wt rod, WF5 line, and now know to pull 30 feet of that line off the reel and have a little out that little round thingy at the tip. Then flail away.

OBTW, what are those other ring thingies that are stuck all along the rod for? Must be 6 or 7 of them and all different sizes, starting with an itty bitty one right at the handle. Can't be for the line cause that first one's too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Well, let's say you're ready to begin practicing. You need to 'string ' your rod(put leader and line through the eyes and out the tip top) and should have roughly a 9' leader/tippet with a tiny fuzzball thingy at the end(so you can see how and where your 'fly' is going) plus about 3 feet of line sticking out from the tip top of the rod. NOW follow J. Castwell's instructions!
    If you took your rod/reel and just walked out to a lawn without 'stringing' and stripped off 30' of line from the reel, that line would simply be piled under you on the lawn.
    Gordon

You can mark your line with a sharpie at 39 feet for a 9 ft rod. Then you will have about 30 feet our of the guides when the mark is just off the reel.

Some fly line/rod combinations have a "sweet spot" that seems to produce the easiest cast . This length can differ for different casters. If this happens with your outfit, you can mark that spot with a sharpie or whip a bit of tying thread on the fly line and cover it with some Uv cured resin so you can feel it with your line hand when that amount of line is off the reel.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Fly line weights are based on the first thirty feet of line. by stripping off thirty feet of fly line plus whatever leader you have you are getting enough line to load your rod properly if you have a balanced outfit.
    Also, most fly fishing is done within 30 feet. Yes there are exceptions, but if you can accurately cast 30' you have half the battle won.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread