Gee, now why didn't I think of that? Getting the line out that little thingy at the end would make it so much easier to toss the line out in front of me. Thanks for the chuckle Allen, I needed it today.

I have this absolutely huge backyard that I practice in. Its of 300 by 300. Well, in inches anyway, in feet it 25 by 25. Ain't it wonderful living in a modern subdivision. All of .2 acre lot with a house right in the middle of it. Oh well, at least from the corner of the deck, to the corner of the yard it is right at 30 - 35 feet. So, it's just about the right distance, maybe a little short, but a good distance for the for me. For the backcast, I have the distance for 30 - 40 feet of line, but I have to put it through about a 4 - 5 foot gap between my house and the neighbor's shed, which if I screw up there is this nice puddle of line in front draping over my shoulder with the end behind. But it is also good, cause I can use the 3 rose bushes in the corner as targets. They are about 2 - 3 feet apart and make good targets for the little fuzzball thingy.

So, I have space, barely, to practice in the backyard. Got a 9' 5wt rod, WF5 line, and now know to pull 30 feet of that line off the reel and have a little out that little round thingy at the tip. Then flail away.

OBTW, what are those other ring thingies that are stuck all along the rod for? Must be 6 or 7 of them and all different sizes, starting with an itty bitty one right at the handle. Can't be for the line cause that first one's too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Well, let's say you're ready to begin practicing. You need to 'string ' your rod(put leader and line through the eyes and out the tip top) and should have roughly a 9' leader/tippet with a tiny fuzzball thingy at the end(so you can see how and where your 'fly' is going) plus about 3 feet of line sticking out from the tip top of the rod. NOW follow J. Castwell's instructions!
If you took your rod/reel and just walked out to a lawn without 'stringing' and stripped off 30' of line from the reel, that line would simply be piled under you on the lawn.