+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod manufacturers

Blog Entries

Mike,
    I have an Echo rod and got one for my son as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    I may get beat up over this, but I have become a real fan of Echo fly rods. I now own 5 of them & am ordering #6 this week. I won't take a thing away from the high end rods already mentioned, but these rods are a great "bang for the buck". These rods offer excellent performance at a very reasonable price. As Warren is want to say, "Just my opinion".

Mike
    I have a Martin Mohawk River 7'6" 3wt that's paired with the small Mohawk river reel. I think the rod was around $100 and the reel maybe $50, if that. In all honesty it fishes about as well as any of my rods. Not sure they offer them any more, which is a shame.

There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I have a strong opinion of the large rod makers. I have watched many rods that I thought could not get better be discontinued to put out a new line to generate sales. I understand this and when you base your business model on selling 10's of thousands of rods a year it is a necessary to continue to replace product lines. Some of these discontinued rods fetch quite a price on Ebay and are snatched up very quickly.
    A good friend and I, after talking about the very issue of being on a prostaff and promoting a rod is the best thing ever and having to tell all the same people that thats no good you need this every other year, Decided to do something on our own.
    We teamed up with an established local blank maker and set up shop. We now are building our own dream rods. The rods that we want to fish with in each line weight for the species of fish we use it for. Not a line of similar feeling rods but a specific feel for each line weight. We think we have achieved our goal on a line of 10 rods but have 3-4 more rods we we like to design and build. Most fishermen would think we took it to the extreme but we felt passionate enough about casting to invest our savings into it. we will see later if it was the right thing to do.
    -Jeff

Blog Entries

Jeff,
    That is very interesting. Good for you!
    I have a question though. Take the Hardy Zenith, for example. I have one and really like it. Suppose it turns out to be one of those "top 10 rods of all-time" - I'm not suggesting it will, but just pretend for a moment. Can your blank maker make the Sintrex blank?
    I have always wondered how and where the "local blank maker" gets his wrap material. Any idea?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Byron,
    I don't want to hyjack the thread, this could easily change into a different topic and I don't think promoting a business is fair to the forum without paying for that right. As you see I have been a member here much longer than my rod making career of a couple years.

If you do have that special rod that feels like you could cast it blind folded and feels like an extension of you keep it!

as far as reproducing rods it would be something that no ethical rod maker would do and with the technology advancements in graphite you would not want to. the feel you get in a rod is a combination of modulus and taper and you vary both of these throughout the rod to get the feel you are looking for. In a nut shell buy lots of mandrels and multiple materials, do lots of math to get flag dimensions and when you get close spend lots of time fishing and casting and don't compromise until you get it just right even if its gonna cost more money in development. All the companies being talked about above have done this to some extent and that is why top fly rods cost so much money. If someone would have told me that it would take as much money to start as it does I would have never tried it.
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    I may get beat up over this, but I have become a real fan of Echo fly rods. I now own 5 of them & am ordering #6 this week. I won't take a thing away from the high end rods already mentioned, but these rods are a great "bang for the buck". These rods offer excellent performance at a very reasonable price. As Warren is want to say, "Just my opinion".

Mike
    Excellent rods by an excellent caster and fly fisherman. Great sense of humor too. What rod are you thinking of getting? Inquiring minds like to know.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Birddog....on your point, and that of others. The Orvis original unsanded Far-and-Fine is a perfect example in my book. They have built, and will build alot more rods....but they discontinued their finest to date.

Jeff

Could you tell us a little more about your rods? Are they for sale? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Excellent rods by an excellent caster and fly fisherman. Great sense of humor too. What rod are you thinking of getting? Inquiring minds like to know.
    Here's the lowdown..I already own (and LOVE) 1-Echo2 3wt, 1-Echo2 4wt, 1-Echo3 4wt, 1-Echo Edge 84 6wt, & an Echo Ion 9wt. Just last week I had the opportunity to cast & fish a 2wt Echo Carbon & that's the rod I ordered today ($130.00 SHIPPED from http://southholstonriverflyshop.com ). Btw, they also have a couple weights of the Echo3 for $195.00 shipped (retail= $349.00). The 1st rod I purchased from the owners, Rod & Matt Champion, was a 3wt pre IPC St Croix before they were discontinued, so I can vouch for these guys.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I from the beginning of flyfishing started with a diamondback american 8' 5 weight and have tried everything I believe since.Hold your breath here we go.Loomis fr904 in glx,gl3,imx,east fork.Sage xp,SLT,SPL,ds2,txl.Thomas and Thomas LPS,Diamondback american,VSR,Classic.Gatti,Redington,St Croix imperial,legend ultra.Winston Wt.
    Now the sad thing is with trying all of the above the only rod I still have that was one of the first is the fr904 glx and I have since bought the gl3 on eBay and the east fork in same model.There is one rod I traded for 8-10 years ago for a 3 weight glx and its a sage SPL 743 that has the warranty card filled and sent in my name but the seller wants 400.00 for it and I just can't see spending that to get it back.

The morale to the story make sure what you buy because in today's market it is harder than hell to resell it without losing your but on it.

+ Reply to Thread