Byron,

I used a Sage VPS Light 5 wt for years, it was a medium action rod but Sage only made it for a couple of years. Then they came out with the ZXL and I bought one of those, in a 6 wt, for my dry flying on the larger western rivers casting big dries on stronger winds. It is a great rod. I was sorry to see Sage end that line.

However, they came out with a true soft action rod, the Circa and I bought one of those in a 5 wt, what a fantastic rod. It does have some limitations when you hook into a large trout in heavy running water, but then I would be using my ZLX for that.

Tom, I carry a Sage 5 piece 9 foot 6 weight SP as a back up rod, it is great for dries and yet can chuck a streamer or a nymphing rig.

My main nymphing rod is a Sage XP, an 11 foot 4 piece, 6 wt. I use it all the time for deep nymphing. I love the rod. I also have an 11 foot 6 wt Z-Axis that I rig us as a back up for nymphing. It is an excellent rod, not quite as fast as the XP but very close.

As mentioned by Byron, you have to adjust your cast with each different rod, especially when I am switching from a fast action XP to a medium action ZXL to a soft action Circa. But they are all a blast to cast.

Larry ---sagefisher---