+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod manufacturers

Blog Entries

Great Larry!!!
    Cannot immagine an 11 footer........Although I once cast a 10 ft. 5wt and it was a method of placing a fly about a mile away....................

I think each rod has it's application. I have a 7'3wt lamiglass Glass rod that is perfect for those small streams. It's slow, and to Byrons point it takes me about 15 minutes when I first hit the stream to adjust my casting stroke to it. But it is perfection for the right application. It is not a rod to be fighting western winds with big dries.

I am partial to Orvis with roots in the original unsanded line. But do like the St Croix rods alot. The Imperial is a great little rod. I like Sage....but nothing grabs me since the LL series.

I find myself fitting into the IM6 rods and the casting strokes they offer for daily use.

Ralph

My favorite right now for warm water fly fishing is a TFO BVK. Very versatile rod.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Winston guy here. My first - and still favorite - is an 8-1/2' 5wt WT; since then I've been fortunate to acquire several more; I love that WT/IM6 action. That said, Winston seems to be succumbing to the higher/faster/farther pressure with their newer models, so if I buy any more it'll be on the used market.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

It appears that there isn't a lot of enthusiasm out there for the newer Loomis rods. I wonder if this is because people haven't tried them, or because people don't like them?

Has anyone fished with or tried the Sage one elite?
    Any thoughts about it?

I myself prefer Sage rods. I have many, but the ones I use often are 590-4 SLT and a 490-4 ZXL for dry fly fishing. For streamers and windy days I prefer a 590-4 XP or 490-4 Z-Axis. I haven't tried their newer series, but tempted to check out a 6 wt One series. I hear good things about them.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

2 wt is an 8 ' Green River rod.
    3 wt is a 7 ' Winston IM6 3 pc
    4 wt is an 8' Winston IM6
    5 wt is a 8'5" Winston WT

an Orvis Hydros 8'6" for 4 wt has become my favorite small streamer rod.

Those are the graphites I enjoy fishing most and tend to reach for most often. That said, T&T LPS, Diamondback classics , Orvis superfine "Far & Fine" ,what's not to like.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Maybe cosmetic appearance shouldn't be an important factor in buying or liking a rod but as of late it has become very important to me. I'm tired of fly rod manufacturers making an effort to 'bling' their products. St. Croix' horrendous dull silver reel seats, Loomis' fish skeleton reel seat, Sage's odd choice or colored blanks and red reel seats. If I buy an off the shelf rod in the future it'll be a Winston or a Scott based on their continuing to offer a traditional looking rod. Better yet a rod from a small builder. I know they are targeting the younger crowd coming into the hobby but they are forgetting about the older, conservatively traditional angler. A few years ago I switched to fly fishing largely because I was sick of what conventional brands were throwing in my face, now fly brands are doing the same, full force.

I may get beat up over this, but I have become a real fan of Echo fly rods. I now own 5 of them & am ordering #6 this week. I won't take a thing away from the high end rods already mentioned, but these rods are a great "bang for the buck". These rods offer excellent performance at a very reasonable price. As Warren is want to say, "Just my opinion".

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread