Was given today, as part of a swap, two bamboo rods in fairly good condition. Any suggestions on who the First Rod builder is will be appreciated!

Both have only one tip, what appears to be their original sock, and their aluminum storage tubs.

First Rod:
Made by H. L. Webster
9' 3 piece
Mod. # 50 (The space between the pound symbol and the five is how it is inked onto the rod) There is no additional information on the other two sections. It has a well seasoned, clean handle. the second snake eye wrap from the bottom has been re-wrapped and the tip is missing.

Second Rod:
(Information written in India Ink)
Spencer Rod
4 1/2 oz
USLAN CORP.
It is a 5 sided work.
(also has the inked number nearest the handle) 8014 Near the ferrule it has the number 22150
On the section section is the number 22150. Evidently the two sections are a single unit.
It is a 6 sided work
The first ferrule of the second section is missing. The handle is seasoned (I mean that it is well used.) Very high quality cork and shaped as a full handle.

In another post I learned:

Nathanial Uslan is a well known bamboo rod maker in the 5 sided category.

Spencer is the model name for a line of impregnated rods, meaning the finish is within the blank, rather than on the surface.

8014 is reference to an 8' rod with a #14 ferrule size, which would be consistent with a rod weight of 4 1/2 oz.

22150 is probably the serial number. The location of the numbers is consistent with common practice in marking bamboo rods.

Nathaniel Uslan was profiled in Dick Spurr's book "Rodmakers Past and Present".

Also, this link will take you to a brief biography of Nathanial Uslan as well as a collector price guide. The author suggests a value of $500 for an 8014 Spencer, but that is presumably with two tips, so a single tip rod would be worth something closer to $350 I think.
[url=http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id21.html:e24e4]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id21.html[/url:e24e4]

So; who is H. L. Webster?

His handwriting in cursive looks like:

H. L. Webstui

I'm making the assumption that it actually is Webster.

Is there any information about this builder or the rod?

Thanks

PS:
I really did not want to get back into Bamboo, I like my Sage and other modern rods. But; I offered, as a gift to someone, a Kayak I built and they were not willing to receive it without giving me these two rods. Now; after 50 years I can't wait to try them out. I don't even know what size line I need. Do I still need silk?

I have a Sage Xi2 6wt. with a Vortex 5/6 that is my go to system, this is really going to be a step back in time for an old man. But; it will be fun!

I need to know if these rods have any significan value, I would not feel right keeping them, thanks again!

[This message has been edited by Pearl Atwater (edited 01 May 2005).]