+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gardiner, MT mudslides

Default Gardiner, MT mudslides

http://www.ktvq.com/news/mudslide-cl...near-gardiner/

Walter and Doug,

You guys okay? Those storms on Wednesday really did some damage; Bannack State Park got chewed up pretty badly by flash floods, too.

Regards,
    Scott

oops, just saw that Doug's inbound; may have to re-route
    Last edited by ScottP; 07-19-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Ben was just downstream of it when it happened and got to fish basketballs, volleyballs, a lawn chair, and a gas can out of the river. I barely made it home on the back road before they closed it. There were mud puddles a foot deep on a "gravel" road. I was shocked to see the slide had already stopped leaking any appreciable mud into the river at 6:00 last night. Unfortunately we're just now getting the Lamar mud from the same storm, so almost the whole river is dirty.

Scott - I am in route to Gardiner.... tonight I'm in Mitchell, ND and will be in Gardiner by Sunday.... Wally is the Gardiner OK? What other drainages were impacted by the storm?
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dr korn View Post
    tonight I'm in Mitchell, ND
    Doug,

You mean SD? Corn Palace is very cool.

Regards,
    Scott

Doug:

A cloudburst hit the Yellowstone 8 miles NORTH of town (about a mile N of Corwin) and dropped like 4-6 inches on one gully that then dumped mud and debris all over the road. No rain at all from that cell even 2 miles from the gully. Everything including the Yellowstone is fine now and I've got a float going out in 25 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    Doug:

A cloudburst hit the Yellowstone 8 miles NORTH of town (about a mile N of Corwin) and dropped like 4-6 inches on one gully that then dumped mud and debris all over the road. No rain at all from that cell even 2 miles from the gully. Everything including the Yellowstone is fine now and I've got a float going out in 25 minutes.
    There were a lot of other storms in the area that night, and we had one after another after another coming down the valley for an hour or so at the same time, although not nearly as severe as the one at Corwin Springs. The lightning was pretty spectacular, and a young fellow from Gardiner who was hiking Electric Peak was found dead on the mountain Thursday morning after he had called friends on Tuesday on his cell phone to tell them he was descending the mountain because of nearby lightning. (The river has still not cleared here yet this morning, but it sounds like it will sometime shortly.)

Doug:

There were a lot of other storms in the area that night, and we had one after another after another coming down the valley for an hour or so at the same time, although not nearly as severe as the one at Corwin Springs. The lightning was pretty spectacular, and a young fellow from Gardiner who was hiking Electric Peak was found dead on the mountain Thursday morning after he had called friends on Tuesday on his cell phone to tell them he was descending the mountain because of nearby lightning. (The river has still not cleared here just north of Emigrant yet this morning, but it sounds like it will sometime shortly.)

Blog Entries

Anyone still out there fishing have pictures of fish?

A cloudburst hit the Yellowstone 8 miles NORTH of town (about a mile N of Corwin) and dropped like 4-6 inches on one gully that then dumped mud and debris all over the road. No rain at all from that cell even 2 miles from the gully.
    There were some big storms all around - a lot of hail damage down in Kalispell, and we barely got a drop 10 miles away in Whitefish. 3 people were struck by lightning over at St. Mary's on the east side of GNP; luckily, it looks like they're going to be okay. Too bad none of that rain fell on the West Mullan fire over by Superior.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread