+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helena in August

Hybrid View

Default Helena in August

Hi Guys,
    I will be in Helena MT early August. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good guide?
    Thanks a lot.

Karsten

Dave Carnihan -- he guides out of Craig, Montana which is about an hour north of Helena on the Missouri River. There ain't much in Craig except fly shops. Accomadations might be hard to find there, could try Cascade -- but wouldn't be a bad drive from Helena to Craig and back.

You will need to call the fly shops there to run him down. I can't remember which one to call -- it my be the "Trout Shop". They should all know who he is and be able to put you in touch. He is rather popular so he could be booked.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot Orthoman, I will see how it all works out.

The Trout Shop, Headhunters and Crosscurrent flyshops are in Craig (Crosscurrents has a shop in Helena, too), Montana River Outfitters is just down the road in Wolf Creek; pick your poison. I've only frequented the first 2 but I haven't heard anything bad about any of the shops; never found the need for a guide on the Mo (did find the need for better slack-line casting ability), but I could see where a boat would get you to some of the less-fished water. Hopefully, they wouldn't just have you bobber fishing the bathtub right below Holter; there's some beautiful country over there worth seeing. Again, if you haven't worked on your reach, parachute, puddle, bounce casts recently you might want to; those fish don't care much for drag. Have fun, catch a bunch.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread