+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracked Ferule

Default Cracked Ferule

I've got a rod that has a cracked ferule, so my questions are: Would it be worth it to take the epoxy/wrap off and re-wrap? Or should I try and get a replacement section?
    -Kidder

The best fix would, of course, to get a new section.

If you can't find a replacement section, then you can maybe rewrap the ferrule. (I'm going to assume that it's a female ferrule?)

The success of rewrapping the ferrule will depend on the size of the crack.

Here's what I would do:
    I'd remove the old epoxy and wrap to get a good look at the crack.
    If you can get some superglue in the crack, that might be good. BUT you want to make sure that the glue would not interfere with the male ferrule's fit.
    I'd measure how far the male section fits up into the ferrule. I would start my wrap just above that point.
    I would also use some pretty tight tension on the thread while wrapping it.
    Then go over it with a few coats of epoxy.

Maybe some of the folks might have some better tips.

Brian

To remove the ferrule I would suggest what I was told to try on a butt section here. Warp the ferrule in a plastic, I used a freezer, bag. Then plunge the bag wrapped ferrule into boiling water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then remove. I had do it about 3 times then sat and "worried" at it for a few minutes and bingo, got it off.
    Worth a try.

tkidder,

I think you need to let everyone know whether this is a fly rod with a "tip-over-butt" ferrule as in graphite or a metal ferrule as in bamboo/glass. I say this because you have received 2 replies and one is for a metal ferrule and the other is "tip-over-butt" as in graphite.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

It's the female side of a "tip-over-butt" ferrule that's cracked. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the suggestions so far!
    -Kidder

Good Luck with the task!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread