+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky Cloudveil Waders, and wader suggestions.

Default Leaky Cloudveil Waders, and wader suggestions.

guys,

my buddy has an old pair of leaky Cloudveil waders.

Are there any suggested tricks to finding leaks? I have Simms waders, and just use the rubbing alcohol trick.

I have not bought waders in years. What brands are considered quality right now?

thanks
    Mark

Alcohol should work. You can also use a flashlight inside the waders in a dark room.

Simms is always at the top of the list. I am on my second season with a pair of Redington Sonic-pro waders. So far they have been great. I have had good luck with Dan Bailey waders in the past.

I've always used the alcohol method for detecting leaks. Turn them inside out and give them a spray. The dark spots that show up are the areas that leak.

As far as "quality" brands I'm sure there are a bunch but I'm firmly in the Simms camp when it comes to waders. I got a pair of blackfoots that are over 8 years old that I've had to fix pin hole leaks in twice. I'll admit I've not used these waders very "hard" over the last 4 years (I've only been getting 10 - 14 days per year of wader fishing in during this period).

But I've never been disappointed in the quality or customer service from Simms. I just purchased a pair of G3's that are going to get used hard starting with my retirement next year. The decision to go with this brand and model was largely based on my very favorable experience with the Blackfoots.

Good luck with the repair!
    Joe Bertolini

My previous pair of waders were Simms. I really liked them and they were good for years but finally gave up the ghost on the pinholes...just too many. The only thing I had issues with were the fit of the booties and ease getting them off. Decided to give a pair of Orvis Sonics a try mainly for the price point (about $40 cheaper than the Redingtons and a whole lot cheaper than the Simms).
    I have to tell you I absolutely LOVE everything about them including how the booties fit and the ease with which I can remove them. Only had them for about four months so I can't comment on the wear and tear. Highly recommend them...
    Bernie

I got a pair of LL bean this spring, their new Kennebec's, and I really like them. I have got at least 12 trips in them. Nice pockets, suspenders, color, breathable, and they don't leak, not a drop. Just order up one size than what you think. The belt system on these are really great, it gives you an instant snug fit. I never wore the belt with other waders but it is great on these. I started with a pair of the Silver Sonics, and they leaked profusely at the knee seam first time out, right out of the box. The LL Beans' are better quality in MHO, and are $60 bucks cheaper..... As far as finding leaks, the alcohol deal works great for me, I like to use Aquaseal and the tape/repair kit they give you and it worked pretty good on my old Hodgemans.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I used Cabela's for years and loved them. They developed a slow leak that I couldn't find so I decided to replace them. (Actually I gave them to my son who in his mid twenties doesn't care too much that one leg is damp and he is still using them.)
    I went with a pair of Orvis Sonics. They are extremely comfortable, fit well and in use seem far more durable than I would have thought by feeling them in the store. Even the three pockets are designed well enough so that I can fish half-days without a vest or pack - granted I do put some things in my shirt pockets too - and they aren't big enough for lunch.

+ Reply to Thread