+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bifocals, Not FF

Hybrid View

Question Bifocals, Not FF

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm going to need bifocals. 2 years ago I had my eyes checked and the Doc told me I would need them next year. So, I thought to myself, "I'll show you!" I didn't go next year. Now another year has went by and I've noticed that my arms are getting shorter. I realize being 41 makes me a young pup around here, but I need some advice. Would you get them with lines or without? I haven't even made an appointment yet, but the Misus is starting to notice and that means I'll be going to Doc before long.

As always, thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I've had them for a while now. I get the "progressive" (no-line) lens just because they look a little nicer. I wear them all the time. For fishing I wear Fit-Over sunglasses over my regular glasses. They work pretty well, but they aren't the most stylish looking. For most of my on stream re-rigging, I just flip off my Fit-Over shades and with my bi-focals I can see small flies and tippet fine for re-rigging. For really small stuff, I have a pair of reading glasses with a higher power magnification that I switch to.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    I've had them for a while now. I get the "progressive" (no-line) lens just because they look a little nicer. I wear them all the time. For fishing I wear Fit-Over sunglasses over my regular glasses. They work pretty well, but they aren't the most stylish looking. For most of my on stream re-rigging, I just flip off my Fit-Over shades and with my bi-focals I can see small flies and tippet fine for re-rigging. For really small stuff, I have a pair of reading glasses with a higher power magnification that I switch to.
    Agree with John. Progressives took no adjusting to (on my second prescription , so you have my sympathies, hungNtree) and combined with Fitovers, works well on the stream even if you do look a bit like an extra from a B movie.

Of course the OP forgot to mention the next step...trifocals!

Jason, My friend, that is a no-brainer don't even think about getting lines. With progressive lens you will never know you are wearing bifocals. You will find yourself reading labels on shelves from across the aisle but your transition will be much easier.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Hi hNt,

A friend couldn't get used to the no line, and I didn't even try. The doc told me that the line type are easier to transition to, and I found the transition was a piece of cake, and I have never regretted going to the lined type.

Regards,

Gandolf

Since both sides have their recommendations, I will not make one. Instead, I will tell you at 45 years of age, I got the progressive no-line and had no problem adjusting to them at all. All one has to do is to remember that when you want to look at something far off, you raise your eyes and not your head. If you want to read something you lower your eyes and not your head. You look through the top of the glasses for far away and look through the bottom of the glasses to read or do close-up work. I am now 65 years old and wear my glasses all the time and find that the bi-focal really helps when tying flies. I use clip-on polarized sun glasses when fly fishing. They even have clip-on ones that you can flip them up when you do not need them in low light situations and flip them down in bright light.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I too have the progressives, and enjoy them, BUT when fishing make sure you have one of those straps around the back or your head, so you can lay them on your chest.
    Don't ask me how I know.

Blog Entries

Yep, progressives are nice. When I hit 50 my eyes turned against me. I used to have 20-10 vision, everything was clear from 1 inch away to miles away. Then I had to start moving my hands farther way to read something and yep, I needed glasses. I had progressives that had the correction for up close but virtually no correction for distance. Around 5 years ago my distance vision also started going away so now I use progressives that cover both corrections. Ain't getting older a neat thing? Larry ---sagefisher---

Progressive lenses need to the have the lateral distance between the centers of your eyes measured carefully.
    That makes progressive very erazsy to use.

Rick

I'll put in one plug for multifocal contacts. I like the full, natural field of vision (wading and climbing stairs) and getting to use normal sunglasses. I have progressives for days I need to wear glasses. A good fitter who is familiar with the characteristics of various brands can be really helpful on the contacts.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread