Something I have been considering for some time is how much "noise" a fly makes. Its not noise we can hear, but fish don't have ears; they have a lateral line that senses vibration in the water.

We all know that a dragging fly can put fish down. In a situation where drag, or the lack of it, is important could it be the vibration that a dragging fly sets up in the water that puts the fish off? A small may fly drifting on the current doesn't make any vibration in the water. We present a fly. It drifts nicely then starts to drag. The fish starts to rise, then turns away, and is gone. Think of reaching for a sandwich on your plate. It it suddenly made a noise wouldn't you pull your hand away?

Conversely there are some insects that make a lot of noise. The first that comes to mind is the caddis fly. Here we sometimes pull the fly across the water to get a take. Not only is this visually attractive it must be setting up vibrations in the water that the fish will be attracted to.

Thinking about this I've been changing slightly how I dress some of my flies. Mostly wet flies. Ones which will be pulled. By using dry fly saddle for the palmered hackles the fly will will give the fly more "buzz" than a softer hackle, that will collapse. To keep some of the movement I put a soft hackle at the head.

It isn't something I have read anywhere and I would be interested in what you all think. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,
A.