+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do people just watch a item on ebay and not hid or buy?

Default Why do people just watch a item on ebay and not hid or buy?

I have had several items in the last month that people have just watched but never bid on right til the end?Are they selling a like item and just want to see if yours sells,I just don't get it,esp. on a buy it now auction???

Lots of possible reasons, but interest in knowing the value of the item is the most likely.

Also, if they bid at the end, they are most likely using auction sniping websites or software.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I often follow (watch) items on Ebay for all of the reasons mentioned. If the price is higher than I want to pay as the auction nears the end, I don't bid on it. Following an item on "My Ebay" makes it easier to find the item as the auction progresses.

Thomas, It's a game we play to get your hopes up. Not really. I sometimes watch items and bid if the price doesn't get too high for me. In the case of buy it now I watch to see if it sells for the asking price. I have been looking for a 67-68-69 or 70 chevy SWB pickup. for a few months. I have a half dozen on my watch list but have only bid on one. Mainly I'm seeing how much they are going for because if you're not watching it, and it sells you can't get back to it to know what it did sell for. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I listed an item a while back that had 35 watchers and not one bid.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If I am looking for something, and there are several of the same item listed, I may watch them and see which one is cheaper. If I have bought one of the others, obviously I won't bid on the other multiple listings. Sometimes, I may be watching an item with every intention of buying it, and then something happens to where I can't buy it (car repairs, kids or friends needing money, illness, etc...). That's life....

I've had one or two things that didn't sell on EBay. It happens....

You know that if your item does't sell, EBay will let you re-list it for free, right?

If I have a bid on one item, I may watch a similar item in case I don't win the first.
    Bob

Blog Entries

What I find interesting about eBay, like all auctions, is that the "winner" has just said he will pay more for the item than anyone else is willing to pay. Especially on eBay where there are, potentially, thousands of potential buyers watching the item.....

I suppose because: someone is intersted but not 'that' interested; someone has a similar or same item and wants to see what it goes for; simple curiosity; or even more simply - because they can.

+ Reply to Thread