+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: voo doo cast

Okay, I readily admit to being confused. Would someone please explain if the 'VooDoo' and the 'Shadow' casts are the same or are they different types of casts?

Thanks.

Allan

Blog Entries

Allan,

I called an expert, a master certified casting instructor friend of mine, but he must be out on the water as he does not answer. If no one else gives a good explanation I will try him again later to ask him the difference, if there is one.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

About the Shadow Cast. This was developed by Jason Borger just for the film, "A River Runs Through It". The cast was actually a Galloway Back Cast fine tuned and turned forward. The purpose of it was to cast a fly upstream as far as possible while keeping the line really close to the water and not having any of the line hit the water until the fly reaches its intended target. Jason did this because Norman Maclean remembered it as the best example of what his brother could do with a fly line and to allow the camera to capture all of the action of the line and rod. Gary Borger wrote about it in his book, just for info.

As for the VooDoo Cast, I suspect it is simply a version of the Shadow but called a different name.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Nevermind.

I saw a better video. Nothing at all like the jelly roll.
    Last edited by Steven; 07-16-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Like Hairwing, I see it as just a line pick up. I've been doing similar pick ups ever since I started fly fishing as a kid, and never even considered this had "a name". Typical fly fishing BS, everything must have a name, and a few people are probably arguing about who "invented" it (nobody...) and named it.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

sagefisher,

You wrote:

"About the Shadow Cast. This was developed by Jason Borger just for the film, "A River Runs Through It". The cast was actually a Galloway Back Cast fine tuned and turned forward. The purpose of it was to cast a fly upstream as far as possible while keeping the line really close to the water and not having any of the line hit the water until the fly reaches its intended target. Jason did this because Norman Maclean remembered it as the best example of what his brother could do with a fly line".

Don't you see a conflict in the statements you made (see the italics). How could it have been developed (as in created or invented) if the cast was based on what someone else did? Now maybe you mean something else in which case I'll stand corrected.

Oh, and to be honest, it's documented that George LaBranche was making a very similar cast to create the illusion of an insect hatch way back in 1912 or earlier.

Allan

Blog Entries

Allan,

Not to split hairs, however I have been known to split feathers, Norman Maclean was remembering what his brother did with a cast. Borger took a cast made by Galloway and modified it to fit what Maclean wanted it to look like, or so I was told. Not a conflict. Just an explanation of possible events leading up to the cast made in the movie. But I am not an expert caster, nor am I an expert tyer, nor am I an expert catcher of fish. But, I do fairly well on the latter one so that keeps me happy.

Larry ---sagefisher---

sage,

Okay, good explanation.

Now I ask, and of anyone - Is the 'shadow cast' the same as the 'voodoo cast'?

Not to nit pick and not to confuse anyone but the "Galloway" cast referred to is a "Galway" cast. Galway is in Ireland, noted by it's local for windy conditions. The Galway cast has been around for a long time. I'm not going to explain the cast, you can google it.

My response to the OP by Ole....quote: "I've watched several videos on the voo doo cast. Other than looking rather cool, is there any reason to use this cast if one has plenty of back cast room?".......IMO...No.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Okay, I just watched a few videos of both named casts. The one thing they have in common is the idea of quickly getting a tremendous amount of line speed into a cast while keeping the line relatively in front of the caster. The differences appear to be in the casters style, the line movement, back & forth versus up & down or a combination of these. In any event, the individual caster will be able to get the fly out there by practicing and developing whichever he/she feels better at doing or just prefers. JMHO.

+ Reply to Thread