Of course many relate the Borger "Voo Doo Cast" to the movie and will call it showmanship but I can interpret the cast pre-movie and see an element which I have used in fly casting which was absolutely necessary in my fishing before the cast was given any kind of name like this. It relates to what we used to refer to as a pick-up and that's what I see the Voo Doo Cast as, a pick-up.

There are circumstances when you have to switch the rod and if the cast has to go over some high grass in the back, it's necessary to flip the rod tip vertically up and down after the switch to move the line and rod tip into position for the higher back cast.

The basic casting fundamental here is that the end of the line moves before initiating the backcast, or.. the backcast is made when the end of the line is moving. In some cases with obstructions behind but not too high to cast over, if you were to simply draw the line back and backcast, the path of the line would be too low an late for the cast to get high and you would snag the cast in the grass behind.

The essence of the cast needs another name, it's very practical. I'd say that if you are in the middle of no-where and made all of these gyrations to cast that would be an ego trip, but in my way of thinking there are places for these "fancy" rod moves if you would call them them that.

my 2 $