+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: voo doo cast

Default voo doo cast

I've watched several videos on the voo doo cast. Other than looking rather cool, is there any reason to use this cast if one has plenty of back cast room?

Like you, I see no reason for it except it looks cool and impressive but those are not reasons why I fly fish.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Have you ever fished for awhile with 1 fly and caught a lot of fish. In fact so many fish that you almost or did get bored? So, just for sh*ts, giggles and to experiment, you put on a few different flies? Well, maybe you just get bored with the same ole cast and decide to try another type. Yes, the VooDoo cast is somewhat fancy and I guess it has its place. I like viewing the demonstartion and have tried it on occassion but I get tangled or the line collapses on me more often then not. It's cool and if you can do it with effectiveness, more power to you.

Allan

Blog Entries

I have often used a variation of the Voo Doo Cast when I end up with too much line all around me all of a sudden, like from a missed set when a fish goes for my fly. It is just a quick way to keep the rod loaded while I get the line back up out of the water to complete a proper cast. Would I use it all the time? Nope. But it does come in handy for me when I do need it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

It looks to me like an expansion of a method I learned to use to get a sink tip line airborne at the first of a cast. I strip the line in almost to the weighted section and make a roll cast to get the line to the surface or above the surface before making my cast to begin a drift.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I'm pretty sure that one of the casts on these videos is a VooDoo cast. Regardless, they are certainly worth watching. The videos are on YouTube. The caster is SDombaj. Title of the 1st is 'Flycasting Extreme' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QhDavr24xA

Title of the 2nd is ' Flycasting Extreme Pt.II (adhesiv casts)' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZJhum4_Q4

Enjoy. I did.

Allan

Of course many relate the Borger "Voo Doo Cast" to the movie and will call it showmanship but I can interpret the cast pre-movie and see an element which I have used in fly casting which was absolutely necessary in my fishing before the cast was given any kind of name like this. It relates to what we used to refer to as a pick-up and that's what I see the Voo Doo Cast as, a pick-up.

There are circumstances when you have to switch the rod and if the cast has to go over some high grass in the back, it's necessary to flip the rod tip vertically up and down after the switch to move the line and rod tip into position for the higher back cast.

The basic casting fundamental here is that the end of the line moves before initiating the backcast, or.. the backcast is made when the end of the line is moving. In some cases with obstructions behind but not too high to cast over, if you were to simply draw the line back and backcast, the path of the line would be too low an late for the cast to get high and you would snag the cast in the grass behind.

The essence of the cast needs another name, it's very practical. I'd say that if you are in the middle of no-where and made all of these gyrations to cast that would be an ego trip, but in my way of thinking there are places for these "fancy" rod moves if you would call them them that.

my 2 $
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

hairwing,

Now I'm getting a little confused - not that that is in itself a difficult task - Is the VooDoo cast the same as the Shadow cast? I thought it was the latter that Borger did in the movie.
    Not trying to be smart. Aren't these two different casting techniques?

Allan

Aren't these two different casting techniques?

What are the differences you see between the voo doo cast and the shadow cast ?
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Heck, I do something that looks like that all the time, but not on purpose !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread