+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's All In The Hands

Blog Entries

Default It's All In The Hands

Recently, a friend of mine was fishing on the Yakima River, having a decent day, catching a few and enjoying life. He has a problem with his hands, arthritis has been taking its toll and he paid a heavy price. He was fishing and somehow he simply lost his rod & reel in the river, it just fell out of his hands.

Lately I have noticed that my hands have been getting weaker and are hurting because of arthritis and I am starting to wonder how much longer I will be able to fish without falling victim to a lost rod. Oh well, I will enjoy it as long as I can and maybe beef up the handle of my rod if it comes to that.

Larry ---sagefisher---

One might consider attaching a leash from the wrist of the casting hand to the reel. Might be a bit inconvenient but would beat loosing a rod. I am sure something could be worked out that was do able.
    Denny

Larry,

No MD here. Don't assume your condition is arthritis. Have it checked.

Best of luck.

Allan

Best of luck, go to the doc and get it checked. Mine is convinced that I have severe carpal tunnel moreso than arthritis. All I know is that I need to get something done, the tingling, pain and swelling is driving me nuts. I spend more time shaking my hands or resting them than i do casting or tying flies.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Joe,

I am not a Doctor, but, I have had Carpal Tunnel years ago when I had a job that required a lot of wrist movement. After leaving that job, my condition improved to the point that I do not have the problem anymore.

What you described here, " I spend more time shaking my hands or resting them than i do casting or tying flies", sure sounds like Carpal Tunnel to me and it can be very painful.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Yeah the doc turned my hand over, hit my wrist with his little hammer thingy and made me an appointment for the full blow CTS test. i go August 15th.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

+ Reply to Thread