+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bob jacklin Drake Series

Blog Entries

Default Bob jacklin Drake Series

I really love the flies Bob Jacklin ties. There are some videos of his tying on Youtube.
    When I go to his shop in West Yellowstone, I pick up some of the flies he tied.

I couldn't resist this shadow box of 3 of his Drakes: Brown, Green, and Little Green.

Photos of flies in a shadow box never do justice to the flies, but I think you can see the quality of his beautiful ties:

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

After purchasing a few of Bob's flies, I was standing outside his shop on the sidewalk. He came out and gave me one of these. He said it is his new pattern for a small Western Green Drake. Normally, he ties it comparadun style with moose hair for the tails and a yellow/green hackle as well as the deer hair.

In this version, he uses dun hackle fibers for the tail and a dun hackle as well as the regular deer hair to complete the comparadun style.

Very nice pattern, I believe.

M
    y pattern, which worked very well for the Flav hatch, is a simple Sparkle Dun Pattern. Not as fetching as Bob Jacklin's - that's for sure - but it did the job.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-14-2013 at 03:23 AM.

I like the looks of both flies. What is the tail material you used in your fly, looks like a kip could be used.

The flies by Jacklin are really nice. Interesting how he blended the hackle and deer hair wing together.

Allan

Blog Entries

Stump,
    It is actually a trailing shuck and is Zelon material.
    Thanks,
    Byron

Actually I just got back from a week on the Madison and Gallatin. Stopped in all the shops in West Yellowstone, but for some reason did not turn the corner and go to Jacklins. Your post has me wondering why? Other things on my agenda at the time I was in the area I guess. Probably just as well I certainly spent enough money in BRF and others. I might of been in BRF the afternoon you were there to Byron. My fishing was terrific too, absolutely enjoyed myself.
    Gene

Blog Entries

Gene,
    Yes, it was great! There are 6 fly shops in West. Blue Ribbon, Maddison River, Bud Lilly, the little tiny log shop a block South of the main street, Arricks, and Jacklins. Seven if you count the Eagle Store............

Jacklin's used to be Pat Barn's shop. Bob is quite a character!! He holds free casting lessons each Sunday evening in the West City park. His shop has a trove of his collection of mounted flies by famous tiers. Even has some Pott flies!

Next time, be sure to stop in and see his flies. And, let me know you are out there. Maybe we can fish one day together.

Where did you fish the Madison?

The Galatin, where I fish it, can be tricky. You pretty much need both a Montana license and a Park license as the stream meanders between the two in places.
    Byron
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-15-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Byron I have been in Bobs shop several times, I have purchase his salmon flie tie and it is mounted under a plexiglass dome. Beautiful fly, as are most of his. I stayed at the Slide Inn and enjoyed it very much. Most of my fishing was done on the Madison at 3.00 and Raynolds. One of my best trips, lots of hookups and many landed. The only other river I fished was the Gallatin in the park. I usually do well there and this time was exceptional, including a beautiful 17" cut. I love the cuts unfortunately the Lamar and Soda Butte were a bit muddied from all the storm early in the week, deprived me of a day on those waters.
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread