+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Difference Between:

Default The Difference Between:

A 'lure' and a 'fly'.
    Didn't want to hijack another thread and this subject probably deserves a thread of its own. Without getting into a heated discussion let's see if we can come to an agreement on the definition and distinction(s) between a lure (as in a streamer) and a fly?

Allan

Why is a streamer not a fly? It is more of a fly, if you accept traditional definitions, than, say, a Chernoble Ant. Should Carrie Stevens be known as an early innovative lure maker, rather than fly tyer? Of course, the real question, is what difference does it make?

From Wikipedia, not found in the general dictionary, A ]fishing lure is an object attached to the end of a which is designed to resemble and move like the prey of a The purpose of the lure is to use movement, vibration, and colour to catch the fish's attention so it bites the hook. Lures are equipped with one or more single, double, or treble hooks that are used to hook when they attack the lure.

In modern usage in the USA, I think a lure is generally felt to be an object of sufficient weight, that when propelled by a fishing rod, will have sufficient momentum to pull line from the reel throughout the flight of the lure. A fly on the other hand relies on the momentum of the line to propel it through its flight.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher7 View Post
    Why is a streamer not a fly? It is more of a fly, if you accept traditional definitions, than, say, a Chernoble Ant. Should Carrie Stevens be known as an early innovative lure maker, rather than fly tyer? Of course, the real question, is what difference does it make?
    Actually, there may be a 'legal' difference and depend on what state you are in and specifically where you are fishing. Aside from that there are some things that are not the same as other things and to some people the difference(s) matters not one iota. However, to other people that difference is more then semantics and does matter.
    Oh, as far as Carrie Stevens: In addition to her lure making abilities as demonstrated by her fantastic streamers, she may have been an excellent fly tyer too.

All things not bait... are lures
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    All things not bait... are lures
    Or put another way, All Flies Are Lures, But Not All Lures Are Flies.

I would agree with that. Lures will yank your string, flies string along.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I would agree with that. Lures will yank your string, flies string along.
    And a heavily weighted depth-charge type fly would be?

I have used weighted, bead head wooly buggers plenty of times with spin gear, and no other weight.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

AlanB Guest

Indirectly there is a legal definition here. It is illegal to use lead under 1 ounce for fishing, unless it is part of the dressing of a fly. You can put lead on the hook shank as a base for a fly, you can put it onto a tube. You can not put just lead on a hook to use with a tube. That indicates that a fly is a dressing on a hook or other support. Lures usually have the hook fastened to the lure.

The thing that is important to me is that the rules of the fishery are followed. Beyond that I have seen things that I wouldn't use, but take the position that I'm not the person to decide what is and isn't fly fishing for them. Fly fishing is a completely artificial problem that we set ourselves in order to be creative in its solution. In that respect it is an art form. Just because someone else's fly isn't ascetically pleasing to you doesn't mean it isn't art.

One fishing club that I am a member off has banned the use of flies and a bubble float. A traditional method in this area. This came up when a friend asked if he could take the disabled people he works with fishing. Most are not able to cast a fly line, but could use a spinning rod with a bubble float and flies. To me this is just plane wrong. I don't use this method, but why shouldn't someone who is physically incapable of casting a fly line not be permitted to enjoy fishing?

I sum it up as follow the rules, live and let live.

Cheers,
    A.

There is very little difference between a flyrod nymph and "Indicator".......and a spinning rig with a small bobber and nymph. Especially when the fly reel also has a hightech disk drag to boot. In the Steelhead world....a noodle rod, which early models are basically a spin rod built on a flyrod blank, is used with a clear casting bubble and "Micro-jig" (or beadhead fly). Now, compare that to a Chech rod with a beadhead nymph and indicator. In both instances, the rig is rollcast or flipped within reach of the rod.....virtually no casting is often the case. The only difference is the line. Yet oftentimes the flyrodder never has more than a rod-length of flyline even in play. It's all how you approach things......

+ Reply to Thread