+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do fish feel pain?

Hybrid View

Default Do fish feel pain?

I'm thankful (most times) for a wife who has a tender spirit and heart.

Unfortuneatly this woman doesn't fish, and comments like, "Poor fish, I can't understand why you guys hook the fish and the pain from the hook make it fight and then turn it loose".

She raised two boys who fly fish (one who has earned a doctorate and is an Aquatic Wildlife Biologist) and now three grandsons who love to fish and one will be migrating to fly fishing shortly as he's old enough.

This will be in her inbox when she awakens to greet the new day as she goes to watch two of the boys today and they grab their fishin' poles and go out the backdoor to the lake after bass and perch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9797948/Fish-cannot-feel-pain-say-scientists.html

Excellent article but, certainly not conclusive as the RSPCA spokesperson stated. However, the article points out the difference between pain as experienced by humans and response to negative stimuli as part of a survival tactic. I think I would find myself supporting the latter. I have caught the same fish in a few minutes on the same fly. Bluegills and greens are not even Pavlovian enough to avoid negative stimuli. Of course, the animal rights folks might say this is a feeding urge overcoming a safety need (which takes us to Maslow). Anthropomorphizing is a dangerous thing to do when dealing with wildlife.

I would say if fish felt pain in the common understanding of pain as humans, they would starve to death given the diversity of their forage choices. Much of which is consumed whole and nearly all of which possess some form of defense, pinch, poke, sting, impale just to name a few.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

And if it really bothered me one way or another, I suppose I would become vegan. But I like meat too much to do that.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

And I love the response from son #2 who does/participates/reads this type of study when I asked how to prove something like this and he said,

"I'm not sure. I know there's been debate over whether (for example) lobsters can feel pain. It's not easy to measure, because many responses may simply reflect responses to unusual stimuli, not necessarily pain".

The subject reminds me of the time we were under attack from P.E.T.A.

Where was that place the fly fisherman were accosted either going into or coming out of the river ...?

+ Reply to Thread