+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couple interesting patterns

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Couple interesting patterns

Saw these at Arrick's Shop in West Yellowstone.
    Thought they were quite interesting.

This one is not quite in focus, but I think you can make it out. Flavs were on the water on the upper Henry's Fork.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-10-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Byron, I used to tie a stacked-wind caddis like that one years ago. I do like the flav pattern. I was on the Ranch on the 4th (during and after the late afternoon gully-washer storm . The flavs started popping almost immediately after the rain stopped and then the fish were up and on them. We were the only ones on the river for an hour before the flood gates opened and a mob descended upon us. That hour was magical! Here is the pattern I used to catch my fish that evening:

It sounds like you're having a great time up on the mountain. I appreciate your reports.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Thanks Kelly.
    Nice fly.
    When the gusher hit you, we were fishing the Madison. Probably saw you in the parking lot as we usually fished the logjam in the evening. Great that the Madison is only a little over an hour from The Ranch!!!
    I found a sparkle dun pattern to be effective for the Flavs. I use dyed dun deer hair and an olive body. Shuck either tan/brown or a little yellow/olive.

As an aside, I supplied my son and friends with the sparkle dun pattern that I tied and was working well. When I ran low, I checked both Mike Lawson's and the Trouthunter. Neither shop carried them in a flav.
    What I find so interesting is that Craig Matthews and Juracek developed the basic sparkle dun after seeing cripples shining on the water in an eddy at the top of The Ranch!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Thanks Kelly.
    Nice fly.
    When the gusher hit you, we were fishing the Madison. Probably saw you in the parking lot as we usually fished the logjam in the evening. Great that the Madison is only a little over an hour from The Ranch!!!
    I found a sparkle dun pattern to be effective for the Flavs. I use dyed dun deer hair and an olive body. Shuck either tan/brown or a little yellow/olive.
    Yup, I've got some of those also. I also trailed a sparse PMD emerger behind the flav and caught fish on it although there was no visible hatch that we noticed.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Somebody was recently looking for a Razorback stone pattern. It looks exactly like a Mikulak sedge.

Blog Entries

Another shop that carries perhaps the largest selection of flies in West is Bob Jacklin's. he has over 75 sq ft of fly cases. Some are tied by Bob himself. They are identified by being hooked into a yellow tag of paper - at a higher price too.

+ Reply to Thread