+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New streamer fly product

AlanB Guest

With a very broad marker pen that fades at the edges.
    Cheers,
    A.

Isn't a fly a lure? This is as much a fly as a Clouser Minnow, a Deceiver or a Matuka streamer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    I am just curious where we draw the line between "lure making" and "fly tying"?
    There is no line.

As a 9 or 10 year old kid I started tying bucktail jigs. That led into dressing hooks for spinners which I also made. THAT led into tying flies. One of the very popular local trout spinner styles had various flies with a small treble hook trailer, like the commercial "Joe's Flies" spinners. I made and sold some of those. As soon as I started tying, I picked up my Dad's old fly rod and started fly fishing. All flies are lures. Many "lures" as we commonly define them (cast by the weight of the lure itself, not the weight of the line) have elements of fly tying in them especially if you make them yourself. In fact that distinction is far from perfect as well, because for decades small plugs and spinners were very commonly fished on fly tackle.

If you take a hunk of wood, carve it, paint it, and hang some hooks on it, it is pretty obvious you are not fly tying, but you are still taking separate materials and fashioning them into something with which to catch a fish.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Just like the multi jointed swimbait hard lures it imitates, it'll catch a lot of fishermen, not necessarily a lot of fish. Next thing you know the Ga. boys will pipe in about the tons of fish they catch on rubber worms and flukes thrown on a fly rod. Not to sound like a tweed coated salmon fisher, but this isn't what I got into fly fishing for, just to imitate a spin fisherman.

They're not flies. They're lures.

+ Reply to Thread