+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Line Over Weight

finally, someone mentioned a specific brand of detergent to use other than "mild". LOL. Thanks for the info. how often should one clean their lines. I fly fish in a lake, and the water is usually stained or muddy right now. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    finally, someone mentioned a specific brand of detergent to use other than "mild". LOL. Thanks for the info. how often should one clean their lines. I fly fish in a lake, and the water is usually stained or muddy right now. Thanks again.
    I fish a lot in warmwater lakes and I tend to get lazy about cleaning my lines sometimes. If I don't do it as soon as I get home it tends not to get done. If I notice they are not shooting or floating well I will clean them. If I pull the line between closed fingers, and it leaves dirt behind I clean it. If it leaves residue on my stripping finger I clean it. Some lakes I need to clean the line after every trip. Others maybe a dozen or more.

A good line for your suggested uses and flies would be an SA (mastery) "Headstart" in a WF4F. It is about a half lines size heavy with a good bit of the forward mass of the line in the head much like a Bass Bug tapered line. I have found that SA lines in trout sizes for example tend to handle the heat better than RIO in trout sizes. RIO lines are excellent for cold water applications. If you are going to jump up to a 5wt, I have used the SA Supra lines in warmwater applications here in TN, and they held up very well to heat and dirty water. A great buy for $50!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

X2 on the Supra lines, great lines for the money, as is the Headstart.

I use 4wt on both of my 3wt rods because it ,at least for me, casts better in the everpresent wind here in Kansas. Also my 10yr grandgirl can cast it well.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

Bought a WF-4-F Headstart and it made a big difference. Nice and thanks for the comments.

+ Reply to Thread