+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firecracker Fishing....

Hybrid View

Default Firecracker Fishing....

Well, I got out from work a little earlier than expected, mainly because I agreed to go in at 0500 instead of 0700. The Oklahoma wind was relegated to a gentle breeze, which is rare. I decided to hit the pond on the back 40 at work, after a good report from a fellow coworker.

I was wanting to play with some Bass, so I had my 8wt out. I tied on a small popper, as there are also a lot of Hybrid Sunfish in this pond.

I cast the bug out, and it dropped onto the water?s surface about 6? from the cattails. Within seconds, it was slurped down. I set the hook, and felt a nice, powerful pull on my rod. Sure enough, this is what started jumping and thrashing on the water?s surface:

Several smaller fish decided to come out and play:

While I was catching these fish, I heard a splash on my right side. I looked, following the ripples, and saw a Nerodia water snake trying to swallow a Hybrid sunfish. Here?s a pic:

This snake struggled for several minutes trying to ingulf this fish, to no avail. After about 10 minutes of thrashing around, and trying to position the fish in the weeds to it could crawl over/around the fish to swallow it, a SECOND snake came out of nowhere and attacked the first! When I saw the second snake coming in (right at my feet, mind you!), I thought it was going to grab the fish and try to wrestle it away from the first snake. I was really surprised when the second snake grabbed the first by the head!

I got several quick pics of the fight, and even managed to catch a little video of it. I may post the video later. Here?s the best pic clearing showing both snakes:

Congrats on the nice catch. The pics of the snakes are very interesting!!! Never seen one bit another like in the pic, awesome.

Very, very cool report. Great pictures and freaky encounter with the snake. Non-venomous is the positive, but cannibalistic? Made for an interesting show, I'm sure.
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Thanks! Wait 'till I get the pics from today on the pc. Got something for the "weird catch on the fly rod" !

Nice fish and shots of snake wars! Never saw that before. Do you know what kind of snakes they are?
    Mike

Nerodia water snakes. Non-venomous, aggressive fish-eaters. Got lots of them around here.

Blog Entries

"Nerodia water snakes. Non-venomous, aggressive fish-eaters. Got lots of them around here."

Snakes------When you get so close to them that you can tell what kind of snake it is, you are too close.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Snakes don't bother me that much, unless I step on one, or one tries to get into my kayak. I leave them alone, and generally, they leave me alone.

Now, if I catch a venomous snake in my yard, where the kids play, it's history.

+ Reply to Thread