+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antron wing

Hybrid View

Default Antron wing

I was just in West Yellowstone but was only able to fish in the Park for a couple of hours Sunday morning. I was on the Madison just inside the west entrance and not catching anything. An older gentleman and his grown daughter came down and parked and were catching fish after fish within minutes. He was kind enough to show me how he was rigged and the fly he was using. It basically consisted of gold glass beads and a wing of what looked like antron. He gave me one and I re rigged and caught 2 whitefish and a rainbow before I had to leave about 30 minutes later. He said he was a local and that fly and a big ugly hopper chernobyl ant were the only two flies he used all summer long. My real question is about the antron. When it got wet or was in the water it seemed to turn blue and had a little iridescence. The antron I have doesn't do this as far as I know, so what do I need to get to replicate this fly, which he told me was fine as long as I didn't give it to any guides.

If he was a local, chances are it was z-lon, not antron. (They have different cross sections.) Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone are the chief suppliers.
    Bob

Gong there soon and was wondering what the first fly was called. Thanks kindly. Michael J.

The wing is not made of Zlon because it isn't crinckled or wavey, it is straight and white but with a blue cast when in the water. I was in the Blue Ribbon Fly Shop and those guys were very helpful, but at $2.25 a fly it doesn't take long to spend $50. on some flies, some deer hair and a few other things. It just tore my heart out knowing that I could have tied those same flies for almost nothing.
    The gentlman said he made the fly for himself and to give away to poor unknowing tourists like me, but that I couldn't find it any where else. It was on a #16 hook and was only gold glass beads with this small antron wing. Put it on a 10 or 12 foot leader length to a yarn indicator with enough splitshot to get it down fast. Tie it on with a big loop knot so that it can move. Where we were there was faster and deeper water, about 5 or 6 feet deep, along the far bank with a very deffinate bubble line. He would cast just a little up stream to let it sink, then take up the slack and give it a couple of little twiches or jigs, and say "fish on". I am really hoping some one here can help with the wing material, but i can also experiment a little bit also.

One of the types of EP fibers, maybe?

Joe

Sparkle organza?

Sounds like polypropylene yarn it has kind of a UV look to it! you can get it at craft and bead stores as macrame yarn, or pm me your address and i will send you a
    chunk, I purchase the large skeins and have more than a couple of lifetimes worth, a

There are so many synthetics out there that probably most tyers on this site could name a different one. With the information you offered, I'll second what 'jayatwork' suggested - organza.

Blog Entries

John,
    He did mention that he did catch some fish himself after receiving the fly...........none before.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-07-2013 at 01:25 AM.

A picture of the fly could possibly be of great help....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread