+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antron wing

Blog Entries

John,
    He did mention that he did catch some fish himself after receiving the fly...........none before.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-07-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowmaker1 View Post
    [snip]My real question is about the antron. When it got wet or was in the water it seemed to turn blue and had a little iridescence. The antron I have doesn't do this as far as I know, so what do I need to get to replicate this fly, which he told me was fine as long as I didn't give it to any guides.
    Does the wing look like it is only one material or maybe two? There is product called "Angel Hair" which is fine, straight, and in Polar Blue gives off a sheen you describe. It is often added to a wing of zlon or antron to give it a little shine. There are a number of similiar products out there that have a similiar effect.

Tend to agree with some of the previous posters who argued that materials are not the sole determinant of the effectiveness of a fly...but then again, every so often, some patterns seem to work much better than others, so good luck with your quest.

Blog Entries

Regarding presentation. Presentation is about 75% of effective fishing. However, at any given time, one's presentation is a given. It is what it is, for the present. It can improve, but at any given time it is what it is. Then, other factors take over: the pattern the fish are feeding on, etc.

Given that the gentleman said he was fishing and not catching, and, with a different pattern that was working, became successful, leads me to think the fly pattern may have made the difference that particular time and location. No guarantee about future performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post

Given that the gentleman said he was fishing and not catching, and, with a different pattern that was working, became successful, leads me to think the fly pattern may have made the difference that particular time and location. No guarantee about future performance though.
    Of course the fly itself affects presentation. As an extreme and rather silly example, a fly with a tungsten beadhead is very difficult to present as a dry, regradless of how much floatant you add. In this case, the glass bead body may have sunk it to exactly the depth at which the trout were looking for food, whereas his previous fly went over or under them. The antron (or whatever) may have been denser or lighter, etc.

I know I tie some soft hackle patterns differently depending on whether I intend to fish them upstream or down and across. Others hackle a dry fly differently according to whether it's going to fished in a fast riffle or a slow pool. Selecting the fly that will do what you want it to in a particular situation is part of presentation.
    Last edited by redietz; 07-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Of course the fly itself affects presentation. As an extreme and rather silly example, a fly with a tungsten beadhead is very difficult to present as a dry, regradless of how much floatant you add. In this case, the glass bead body may have sunk it to exactly the depth at which the trout were looking for food, whereas his previous fly went over or under them. The antron (or whatever) may have been denser or lighter, etc.

I know I tie some soft hackle patterns differently depending on whether I intend to fish them upstream or down and across. Others hackle a dry fly differently according to whether it's going to fished in a fast riffle or a slow pool. Selecting the fly that will do what you want it to in a particular situation is part of presentation.
    What he said.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by bowmaker1 View Post
    I was just in West Yellowstone but was only able to fish in the Park for a couple of hours Sunday morning. I was on the Madison just inside the west entrance and not catching anything. An older gentleman and his grown daughter came down and parked and were catching fish after fish within minutes. He was kind enough to show me how he was rigged and the fly he was using. It basically consisted of gold glass beads and a wing of what looked like antron. He gave me one and I re rigged and caught 2 whitefish and a rainbow before I had to leave about 30 minutes later. He said he was a local and that fly and a big ugly hopper chernobyl ant were the only two flies he used all summer long. My real question is about the antron. When it got wet or was in the water it seemed to turn blue and had a little iridescence. The antron I have doesn't do this as far as I know, so what do I need to get to replicate this fly, which he told me was fine as long as I didn't give it to any guides.
    It would be hard to tell what the wing material might consist of without a photo (hint)...but my guess would be clear Antron. I am fairly certain that I have seen that pattern in Dan Delekta's Shop, above the Madison,just South of Cameron, MT. He had a ton of glass bead body flies stashed in some back bins, in a bunch of colors, tied with Antron wings:

https://www.beartoothflyfishing.com/

This guy posts photos and recipes, from time to time, of patterns developed and used by locals in the Yellowstone area:

http://flyfishyellowstone.blogspot.com/

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

This is what I think it is because I use it for many of my flies and it gives off the blueish halo when in the water. I use a material called SAAP Hi-Vis in white. They make other colors. I purchased mine at Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls, ID.

Here is one of the flies I use it on:

Improved Shop Vac (Original Shop Vac fly was developed by Craig Matthews at Blue Ribbon Flies in West yellowstone. The 'improved' part of my fly is to add a peacock collar, use a copper bead and rib with chartreuse wire):
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    This is what I think it is because I use it for many of my flies and it gives off the blueish halo when in the water. I use a material called SAAP Hi-Vis in white. They make other colors. I purchased mine at Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls, ID.

Here is one of the flies I use it on:

Improved Shop Vac (Original Shop Vac fly was developed by Craig Matthews at Blue Ribbon Flies in West yellowstone. The 'improved' part of my fly is to add a peacock collar, use a copper bead and rib with chartreuse wire):

Might be K.G. I use a lot of this stuff and never gave a real look at the white after it was wet...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Thanks everyone for your replies and help with this. I believe that it might be that Hi-Vis material and will look for it somewhere. I figured that someone would get me close.

+ Reply to Thread