Thread: Antron wing

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post

Given that the gentleman said he was fishing and not catching, and, with a different pattern that was working, became successful, leads me to think the fly pattern may have made the difference that particular time and location. No guarantee about future performance though.
    Of course the fly itself affects presentation. As an extreme and rather silly example, a fly with a tungsten beadhead is very difficult to present as a dry, regradless of how much floatant you add. In this case, the glass bead body may have sunk it to exactly the depth at which the trout were looking for food, whereas his previous fly went over or under them. The antron (or whatever) may have been denser or lighter, etc.

I know I tie some soft hackle patterns differently depending on whether I intend to fish them upstream or down and across. Others hackle a dry fly differently according to whether it's going to fished in a fast riffle or a slow pool. Selecting the fly that will do what you want it to in a particular situation is part of presentation.
    Last edited by redietz; 07-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Bob