+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout Photos With Canon G1X

Blog Entries

Default Trout Photos With Canon G1X

I am not happy with the photos I have taken with my new camera.

It is time to make this one my back up and get a different one.

A friend has this one and swears by it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-1iH...s=tg-1+olympus
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Blog Entries

Spinner1,

Olympus makes great cameras, as do several other companies.

My latest purchase was a Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS camera. 16 MegaPixels. Wide 5X Zoom. Waterproof to 40 feet. Shockproof to 4.9 feet. Coldproof to 14 F. Crushproof to 220 pounds. The battery seems to last a long time. It has more features within it that I will ever use. A very good camera. I am really pleased with it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

I am on my 12th digital camera. I started with a Sony Mavica 1.5 Floppy Disc camera. It took decent photos for my needs back then. As my photography skills grew my expectations of my camera grew.

I stayed with Sony for a while. Most of them were high end point and shoot cameras that could fit in my fishing vest pocket. My friends that were professional photographers said I needed to step up to a DSLR.

Two years ago I bought the best Nikon DSLR on the market with four lens and all the bells and whistles to go with it. The case was heavy and cumbersome. I was terrified I would take it swimming on every outing I went on. I left it in its case many times because I thought it was too expensive to get fish slime all over it. It also took too long to get out when you had a flopping fish you are trying to take adecent photo of before it dies from lack of oxygen. This was returned to the big box seller within a month of purchase for a full refund.

I then went to a Canon top of the line point and shoot camera. It was the G12 model. It had a retractable lens cover that was handy so I wouldn't have to touch the lens cap with slimy fingers and it was much quicker so the trout wouldn't die.

Eight months after purchasing this camera I noticed scratch on the lens. They were on the same basic area. I did some research and discovered that Canon had a design flaw in their retractable lens cover. I contacted Canon and they denied the design flaw. I sent it to Canon and had it fixed for $45.00. It took good photos so I ate the cost to fix it. One year later the lens was scratched all over again. Once again I contacted Canon and they denied a design flaw. I placed the Canon G12 on the shelf and have not picked it up again.

Three digital cameras later I am still looking for a decent camera for taking trout/scenery photos. The new camera I will purchase will have a good macro. Maybe not have a lens cover. It might be water proof and it for sure will need a good automatic setting. I am not set on a name brand. Sony and Olympus come to mind as possible new cameras. I am "NOT" going to rely on reviews from magazines or the internet because they have steered me wrong three times.

Took this photo with an Olympus water proof camera of a friend. It was the first trout photo on stream I actually tried to get it to turn out. That was 16 years ago. This photo ended up in Field & Stream.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

I have had my Olympus Tough for two years and I like the pics it can take. I use the micro setting a lot taking pics of jigs/flies. It also makes nice videos but does seem to have a soft background sound you may hear while watching the videos.
    This bug was maybe 1/2'' long and I would never have thought it looked like it did close up. You also see in the close up it was eating a small winged bug.

tied jigs of 2012 034.jpg

Spinner, I have been using a Pentax Optio W90 for the last three years and have been very pleased with the results with numerous photos accompanying several of my articles in Flyfishing & Tying Journal as well as Flyfisher magazine. My son has been shooting an Optio WS 80 also with excellent results.

Here are a few of the shots I like:

Good luck with your decision.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I use a canon DSLR for my pics, but not when fishing! No way i'm getting that puppy wet.
    For all my fishing shots I use a Panasonic Lumix, its waterproof, has lots of functions including hd video and a very good micro zoom. All the brand cameras have a waterproof version of good quality and they all take good pics so I would look at the differences, for example the auto settings and the settings that you can change are the things that vary the most. If you just want to leave it on full auto any point and shoot will do the job.
    Here are some shots from the Lumix
    Landscape setting

Underwater

Macro zoom, hand held standing in the river setting!

All the best.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread