+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UTC tan thread

Hybrid View

Default UTC tan thread

I've got 2 spools of the 140 and one spool of the 70 denier and with each one the thread has gotten buried/trapped; end up having to cut it free so now I have 2 loose ends to go along with my wit's end. Love the stuff, the 140 is my favorite thread for foam flies, and it only has happened with tan, but I use a lot of tan; I can usually get 2 or 3 flies tied before I have to untangle it again. Anyone else have this problem?

Regards,
    Scott

Had it happen with a couple of spols of thread.
    I put the loose end of the thread on another spool and hand wound until it ran out.

Less frustrating for me than messing with the two ends.

Rick

Looks like their re-spooling machine was out of adjustment. The thread is packed up against the red end where you re-fasten the loose end. I pulled off a bit but its ok. My other spools were ok.

I have the problem with quite a few of my UTC 70 threads. I like the stuff for split thread, but am moving in the direction of Bennecchi 12/0 and Sheer 14/0. I do not have the spooling problem with them.

I'm liking the MFC threads, too, and their 6/0 works well on foam, but the local shop has a very limited supply. I'll have to try dumping what I have onto an empty spool and rewinding; electric drill will make that a snap.

Regards,
    Scott

AlanB Guest

When I first started using it it was a big problem. Especially with the older 2 part spools. As you got down on the spool the thread would pull into the split between the two halves. I suspect that the tension used on the spooling machine is a little low. Its not something I have noticed to be colour specific. Rick's idea of spooling onto another spool if you have to cut the end is a good one. Other than that its a case of do you want to go to the trouble of re spooling the thread when you get a new spool every time.

I suppose it is our fault for accepting it. If every time it happened we returned the spool they would soon change. Its a very nice thread but I can understand people turning to other brands with this problem.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread