+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the costs?

Default What are the costs?

Hi all,
    I am really wanting a "personalized" rod to fit me perfect. I started considering builing a rod, but what would the costs be? Would I want bamboo, or graphite? The rod I would like would be a 8'-9' foot pole, at about 5-6wt, if that helps any.
    Thanks For any input
    -David

------------------
    You'll Have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel
    - Homer J. Simpson

I went to hook and hackle's website and found a rod building kit for $94.00 [url=http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/prodinfo.asp?number=BB662AV:42d42]http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/prodinfo.asp?number=BB662AV[/url:42d42] , any suggestions on this?
    Thanks -David

------------------
    - Homer J. Simpson

[This message has been edited by Flytyer317 (edited 17 May 2005).]

Blog Entries

First off if you want a "personalized rod", you'll either have to build it yourself, or have somebody build it for you.

keep in mind ,if you only want "a" (one)personalized rod, save your money and have someone build it. This is only my opinion!

The cost of your new rod is largely driven by the blank you want. You can get a servicable blank for say $20 to several hundred. Add to that the costs of the reelseat, guides etc. My min. for that is about $35 but $60 to $70 is more realistic for better quality stuff. If you do it yourself there will be some cost for starter tools, but you likely have most of what you need. If some one else builds it, figure $100 for his/her time unless you have a good buddy. Now you can add the numbers for your dream rod. Allyn

Check out Hook & Hackle right now.

They have several sales on rod kits.

Bob will help you alot.

Rick

I got too lookin' at all the products and stuff, and I'm totally overwhelmed. I probably need to buy a book, or video. But, would it be cheaper to buy a kit, or just buy the stuff seperately. Also, I'm hoping I could make most of the tools but what else would I need that I can't build?
    Can anyone recomend a good book or video?
    Thanks -David

------------------
    - Homer J. Simpson

Before buying anything, go see what your local library has to offer, check them out. Then buy one if it helps you and is easy to understand. Flexcoat has a book for $5 and Gudebrod has one for $6 for a couple of inexpensive ideas for starters. Take 20%off at Hook/hackle. I haven't looked at either of these two. I have Kirkmans, Garcias and Morris' books. All are helpful, but they cost more. Allyn

This one takes all the mystery out. Concise step by step instructions, explanations for all the components, tools, and supplies. Hints on making your own winding jig, etc.

Very good for a beginner, IMHO.
    [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881505110/qid=1116441932/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-5295174-6496950?v=glance&s=books&n=507846:5b69f]Rod Building Book[/url:5b69f]

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 18 May 2005).]

The total 'build your own rod' costs are somewhat variable, depending on the blank, the quality of componants and how much you might need to invest in tools and supplies.

I am curently helping two friends learn to build rods,the three of us are building rods based on the same blank, but with different componants...

Cabela's Stowawy 5wt blank = $30 (blanks costs vary $30 to $300, maybe more if you go for bamboo)

economy componants = $38
    - alum reel seat and fittings
    - fine grade cork handle
    - black rubber winding check
    - PacBay guides w/ black finish

mid range = $49
    - hardwood reel seat
    - alum. fittings with 'nickle-silver' finish
    - nickle silver winding check
    - 'extra fine' grade cork handle
    - H & H guides w/ chrome finish

high end = $78
    - burled tiger maple reel seat
    - true nickle-silver fittings w/ with rope knurled sliding rings and matching winding check
    - 'super extra fine' grade cork
    - PacBay single foot guides in Tich (titanium)
    - oversize stripper guide
    - oversize tip top
    - flip up 'fuji' style hook keeper

As you can see there is considerable price variation in the parts you select.

You should also consider rod finish, epoxy, masking tape, paint brushes, mixing cups and other 'expendable' items. If you are going to build just one rod these can be purchased as 'single use' kits. If you are building several rods there is a cost advatage to buying larger quantities. I guess I use about $5 worth of this stuff per rod.

If you don't have access to a rod turner you will need something to keep the rod rotating while the finish sets up. Mine is an old barbeque rotissere motor and some wood stands. I've heard of people doing it by hand, giving the rod a 1/4 every few minutes for several hours until the adhesive sets, I can't imagine the boredom.

You might also want a thread tensioner, I have had good results running the thread thru the pages of a phone book with a bowl of pennies on top, you can add or remove pennnies to adjust tension.

A rod wrapping stand can be cobbled together with a few wood scraps, or you can just cut some notches in the sides of a carboard box.

Other tools I have found very useful and just happen to have around...

- drill press (sometimes I need to rebore a reel seat or other component for a perfect fit)
    - small lathe (turn you own custom handle shapes)
    - variable temp heat gun (for un-glueing mistakes or getting air bubbles out of epoxy finish)
    - dremel tool with various abrasives and cut off disks (for shaping and polishing guide feet and for cutting blanks to size)
    - rat tail files (for shaping the inside of the cork to fit the blank)
    - rubber gloves
    - disposable paint brushes for epoxy.
    - eye surgeons scalple and scissors (my mother-in-law is a nurse, these are really fine tools that are thrown out after surgery, these allow for very precice thread cutting and trimming)

building your own rod is not a complicated task at all. You can do it and do a great job with all of the information that is available from the great archives of this forum, and certainly from the many great people that make this forum what it is, they will all contribute to your success.
    As far as graphite, or 'boo, let me offer this to you. I personally prefer building bamboo, there are many others that prefer building graphite. I love fishing boo as well, but I must admit that I love my graphites as well. what I would suggest you doing is attending a conclave somewhere so that you can try some of the great bamboo rods out to see if they are to your liking if you haven't already done so.
    The nostalgia of fishing bamboo has captured the heart and wallet of many a fly fisherperson, only to discover that they are better suited to the speed and handeling of the graphites.
    Now if you REALLY want to try something in between....give Harry Briscoe a call and get one of his Hexagraph blanks and give that a whirl. It will build like bamboo, it will fish like a graphite, and will give you many hours of pleasure in both building and fishing.

+ Reply to Thread