+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Books

Default Recommended Books

I've read a few flyfishing books this winter, Trout Tactics by Joe Humphreys, Fly Rod Trouting by Ed Shenk, Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass by Harry Murray, and Smallmouth Strategies for the Fly Rod by Will Ryan/Chris Armstrong. All were entertaining and informative.

Looking for additional titles to add to my slowly growing library. What does the collective wisdom of FAOL recommend?

Don't know the others you mentionned, but I like works by David Hughes, ... especially Reading the Water.

And they're on special @Amazon [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811722635/102-4921779-6808936?v=glance:720f5]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811722635/102-4921779-6808936?v=glance[/url:720f5]

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:720f5]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:720f5]
    Christopher Chin

For tying books, I go along with fcch's recommendation on ANY Dave Hughes book. I also like Dick Surette's Trout and Salmon Fly Index.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Well, given your location, you might be interested in the works of Charlie Fox and Vince Marinaro. Fox's book, That Wonderful World of Trout, is among my favorites.

Allan

The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Depends on what you're looking for. Instructional? Literature? Classic old stuff?

Here are my recommendations:

anything by Ray Bergman.
    The River Why
    Fishing Bamboo

I'd have to agree with the others that recommend Dave hughes, he's a talented and informative writer.

i have also enjoyed What the Trout Said by Datus Proper, as well as the definitive Trout by Schweibert (if you can find it, I luckily found a copy online a few years ago). This 2 volume set will last you a few weeks of daily reading time and will cover topics from history of the sport to species of trout, fly selections, knots, and etiquette. A great overall set on flyfishing.

I learned a lot from Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer.

There is also a book review section here on FAOL you can check out for other recommendations. If you use the search function you can also find older threads about books people have enjoyed.

Here is a decent list:

The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference (you have to have this one)
    Master The Cast by George Roberts (very clear, well done)
    The Curtis Creek Manifesto (you could teach a kid with this one)
    Presenting The Fly: A Practical Guide to the Most Important Element of Fly Fishing by Lefty Kreh (this is the best I've read, the man is on the stature of J Caswell
    Last I recommend the Orvis Streamside Guides, as the few I've read and highlighted were quite good.

I can also make recommendations in Ice Climbing, World Politics, Six Guns, IPSC, and non fiction as I love to read.

Miguel

"The Trout Pool Paradox" by George Black.

I like Fishing The Mountain Lakes by LaFontaine. I think that you could learn something useful from it even though you're not in the west. Also there are some funny stories in it.

+ Reply to Thread