+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tenkara With A Reel From Japan?

Default Tenkara With A Reel From Japan?

Last edited by Golden; 07-02-2013 at 10:02 PM.

The Horton-Bristol Mfg. Co. patented and produced a telescoping tubular steel rod (c.1880). It was designed so the line ran through the rod.

Isn't that a bit like a Ruben made with roast beef?

Hmmm, do you think Lillian will mind being left at home?

I thought the concept of having the ability to adjust the line's length with out having to re-rig the rod is something we could all appreciate and relate to. And better rod balance through the counter balancing effect a reel would have could never hurt. But to remove the tip section of a rod would certainly change the rod's casting dynamics more than most of us would be willing to accept. But if a rod designed to have the line run through the center of it from the get go, it would completely solve most if not all of the casting problems involved in making such a rod.

Another thing I found interesting was the fly patterns pictured, which included dry flies, unweighted wet flies, and heavily weighted wet flies, along with the stream conditions and other environmental factors for when and where to use each of those fly pattern catagories, in chart form. Where Tenkara fly fishing really shines over the advantages that Western fly fishing tackle offers is in the drag free presentations of dry flies that Tenkara fly fishing tackle allows. It is nice to see some Japanese Tenkara dry fly patterns shown and recommended instead of just the American Tenkara bias toward the wet Sakasa Kebari fly patterns we usually get in this country.

The comment made about there being almost no growth in the sport of Tenkara style fly fishing in Japan goes a long way toward explaining why there is so much seasonal availability and such small limited production runs made of Tenkara style fixed line rods made for the Japanese and international fixed line fly fishing markets we are presently experiencing. None of the rods I have bought other than TUSA's rods have come with an owner's manual printed in English. And that seems a little strange as there are probably more Tenkara style anglers in this country than there are in all of Japan. Hopefully, eventually in the future, the Japanese rod manufactures and sellers will produce more English speaking friendly product literature for us to use and in Europe....Golden.
    Last edited by Golden; 07-03-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I thought the concept of having the ability to adjust the line's length with out having to re-rig the rod is something we could all appreciate and relate to. And better rod balance through the counter balancing effect a reel would have could never hurt. But to remove the tip section of a rod would certainly change the rod's casting dynamics more than most of us would be willing to accept. But if a rod designed to have the line run through the center of it from the get go, it would completely solve most if not all of the casting problems involved in making such a rod.

Another thing I found interesting was the fly patterns pictured, which included dry flies, unweighted wet flies, and heavily weighted wet flies, along with the stream conditions and other environmental factors for when and where to use each of those fly pattern catagories, in chart form. Where Tenkara fly fishing really shines over the advantages that Western fly fishing tackle offers is in the drag free presentations of dry flies that Tenkara fly fishing tackle allows. It is nice to see some Japanese Tenkara dry fly patterns shown and recommended instead of just the American Tenkara bias toward the wet Sakasa Kebari fly patterns we usually get in this country.

The comment made about there being almost no growth in the sport of Tenkara style fly fishing in Japan goes a long way toward explaining why there is so much seasonal availability and such small limited production runs made of Tenkara style fixed line rods made for the Japanese and international fixed line fly fishing markets we are presently experiencing. None of the rods I have bought other than TUSA's rods have come with an owner's manual printed in English. And that seems a little strange as there are probably more Tenkara style anglers in this country than there are in all of Japan. Hopefully, eventually in the future, the Japanese rod manufactures and sellers will produce more English speaking friendly product literature for us to use and in Europe....Golden.
    are you guys serious?

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I was exposed to tenkara style fishing while living in Japan and over here (USA) it isn't what people want it to be.

Next thing you know, people will be putting guides on their fixed line rods (with a reel seat) and calling it the next great revolution.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

I agree! Some folks are never satisfied, and that's ok. It's their own way. For me it's either a Tenkara rod or it's a Fly Rod. ONE OR THE OTHER! They both have a purpose and they both do what they're supposed to do, and they do it well. No need to mix and match. FOR ME!

Last week I went out with my 10' fly rod and my 13' Tenkara rod. I Czech nymphed with my 10' fly rod and of course I Tenkara fished with my 13' Tenkara rod. Neither one out shined the other. Easily landed 25 fish with each set up.

JDSmith
    Last edited by jd_smith; 07-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread