I have done some guide wraps doing two layers....

1st layer is one color (for demonstration, say yellow), that is the longest, and continuous.

2nd layer, is a different color (for demonstrations, say purple) than the first, that is the two banded guide wraps to hold the snake/stripping guides.

And lets say the rod blank is Hunter's Green, actually this ends up being a pleasing color contrast on the finished fly rod.

The end result is a seqence of colors (yellow, purple, yellow, purple, yellow).

I also do the ferrules using the same sequence and sizing as the nearest guide wrap, only difference is I do a spiral for the gap between the 2nd layer bands. so the sequence is (yellow, purlpe, yellow/w purple spiral, purple, yellow). I also do a similar band sequence between the last stripping guide and the Handle Grip on the Butt Section.

The action will be slowed down some (not that noticeable in my opinion), because of the weight of the extra thread, but the underwrap will protect the rod blank from pressure on a guide foot, that under load cut into the rod blank.

I only do this on MY heavy weight fly rods that I use for Largemouth Bass, Salmon/Steelhead, and Pike/Muskie!

Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 15 May 2005).]