+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bamboo Rods

Default Bamboo Rods

I have a couple of old bamboo rods that are in need of repair and/or reconditioned. One is a cheaper Shakespere model but I have used it in the past but the other is very old and I would like to recondition it without having the value go down. Each section of rod is held on the exterior of a metal/cloth rod tube that has grooves to hold the sections. I have built several graphite rods and repaired others but these bamboo seem like a different breed. Any ideas, suggestions, or tips would be appreciated.

Coach.
    Go to the thread by Jaybee "found bamboo rod"
    There you will find a link to the classic flyrod forum.
    You should have a couple of pictures ready and all your "ducks in a row" as the guys will need every little detail(wrao color, number of sections, length, makers marks or writing, reel seat and grip length,etc,etc.
    You see what i mean.
    Too often on the site you get--"got a bamboo pole,, whats it worth"??? THE site for cane so you will get your answers there.
    Good luck
    Salmon Chaser
    >< )))*>

The administrator for that forum is "fishnbanjo" and is Oktoberwoods on here. You will find a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on that forum and they will gladly assit you in your quests.

For what it is worth, there are only a few people doing restorations out there that will keep from hurting the value of the rod IF the rod has any value to begin with. Most of the time, you will need to find people like Robert Summers, or the great Denver Dave, who are readily recognized for their skills both as rod makers and restorationists to do the work without hurting the value of the rod. I personally do restorations but regardless of the quality of the work, a "no-name" restoration only tends to devalue the rod. Nonetheless, it is still a great pleasure to do them and every one that I restore or rebuild, I "feel" the work of the original craftsman and that in itself is rewarding.

What! No mention of "Best to save the money, and use the old sections, for Tomato Stakes"?

JC, you passed on a perfect, "Straight Line", for some "Ripping Zinger".

Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread