A fellow at church who knows I fly fish, approached me today and handed me a Fiberglass Fly Rod with a Martin Auto #8 and asked if I could ?check it out?. He has recently retired and has decided to drag out his 30 some odd year old fly rod and use it. I of course said I would do what I could and brought it home. Not too worse for wear, but the reel is a bit gunky and I would like to clean and lube it. A thorough search on Google, Bing and YouTube turned up nothing on how to take this thing apart. I am in fear of springs flying and parts disappearing into the far reaches of my workshop if I do something wrong. Can anyone point me at a procedure on how to approach this?

Also the rod is somewhat of a mystery. While it was in a cardboard Heddon tube, the rod is not marked Heddon. It has a decal stating ?Great Lakes? in a cursive script and the marking ?Model 6.262.TV? and under that ?Made in U.S.A.? - There is logo on the left of the decal of a leaping Bass. The rod is 7?? with metal ferrules. Stickers on both the rod and reel proclaim the line to be an Air Cel WF7F fly line.

I am only curious about the rod, but really would like some guidance on the reel.