+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rhode island red cape ?

1. Default rhode island red cape ?

Hello: Looking for a rhode island red cape, tried Dettes shop to no availe. Can anyone help ?.....jim

You might to check here http://www.featheremporium.com/Fly-T...and%20red.html

I've bought several CDL Hens & Brahma Hens from them, great service.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

This is great information.

Thanks Mike

Thanks for the link to the feather emporium. I couldn't resist the dark grizzly cape and the price of the cape is reasonable with a very low shipping cost of 1.50

Quote Originally Posted by stumphunter View Post
    Thanks for the link to the feather emporium. I couldn't resist the dark grizzly cape and the price of the cape is reasonable with a very low shipping cost of 1.50
    glad to hear it was helpful. I just happen to come across this site a few weeks ago looking for some Brahma hens.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by bear-kodiak View Post
    Hello: Looking for a rhode island red cape, tried Dettes shop to no availe. Can anyone help ?.....jim
    Jim
    Just curious, what are you tying with the Rhode Island Red cape? Years ago my buddy's dad raised them.

The Rhode Island Red is a popular barn yard family of chickens. You will find very few feathers on one of the roosters that has the dry fly quality we tiers of dries desire. Any color family of barn yards will do the job nicely. I suggest contacting some rural folks that may raise a few for eggs, etc. They may have surplus roosters you could purchase and turn into capes and saddles. 4 H clubs may be able to point you toward those that raise them Go for it! Part of the fun of tying is finding usable materials.
    Most of our present day Genetics just did not exist back when many of our best patterns were developed. So what was used??
    Roosters from many different colors of fighting chickens, whatever barn yard roosters local farmers had. Just remember, if you want dry fly quality hackle you will need to buy genetic hackle. (one of the browns will be the color of a Rhode Island red.)

Denny

Got that site locked in! Thanks!
    Mike

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Jim
    Just curious, what are you tying with the Rhode Island Red cape? Years ago my buddy's dad raised them.

Red Quills.....jim

Bear,

Well, since the 'Red Quill' uses a shade of 'dun' (which shade depends on what you have, whose recipe you go by and your mood) for the hackle collar, I will say that you're looking at the R.I. Red for the stripped quill. In that case, follow Denny's advice and just find a decent reddish/brown, maybe a little on the dark side, barnyard rooster. You don't need genetic quality or 5+ inch hackle length. Perhaps if your squeemish you should buy a prepared neck from some breeder. If you're OK with the idea of killing, skinning and preparing the skin, it isn't that difficult. Also, don't think that the neck and saddle are the only locations for feathers. There are plenty of excellent feathers elsewhere on the rooster. The legs, the WINGS (great for soft hackles & wings), the shoulders, and tail. I'm sure Denny can expand on the feathers' uses.

Have fun.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread