+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forecast rod

Default forecast rod

just got around to trying the forecast blank i built this winter, 9ft. 4wt. what a sweet rod,fished it with 3, 4, and 5wt. line, all worked great but i liked the feel of the 5 wt. best.. nice load with it. thanks H&H and batson

Love it when things work out Thanks for your post.

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 26 April 2005).]

i've got a 2wt blank coming that i want to overline to slow it down i also have a 8' 4wt rod on a forecast that fishes very well

I built a 4wt Forecast rod last summer and its been sitting and waiting to be used. I finally got around to using it the other day, and it doesnt work! I cant cast more then 20 feet with it and I have to put so much leverage into it I almost throw my self in the water! It was an 8'6" 4wt and I can cast further with my 6' 2wt TFO rod! I think it may be the line thats making it so difficult. On my TFO I have SA GXP line, and on the 4wt I have a Cortland 333. I'm hoping its just the line and not the rod, I'd hate to waste a nice rod.

Tim,

I have a ForeCast 8 1/2 ' 4wt about half built right now - just waitng for the guides to be wrapped on and then finished. The blank feels really good I look forward to casting it. Your problems lead me to ask a few questions.

It could be the line but I doubt it. Is it a 4 wt line to match the rod? What kind of wraps did you put on it? How many and what size guides did you use?

The worst casting fly rod I ever cast was a top of the line Sage built by an Ocean Fisherman who decided it would be best to build the rod with a 12 inch diamond wrap and triple wraps on each guide and 3 coats of Flex Coat over the wraps. By the time he was done he had enough weight on the blank it couldn't cast any line of any weight!

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I used what ever was included with the kit. I didnt go crazy with the Flexy Coat, just one coat, and I didnt go crazy with the wraps. I used all the guides that were included and used the placement included in the H&H catalog. I built the rod as it says on this site too. I just dont get it so thats what leads me to think its the line. The line feels like it just doesnt want to go threw the guides. It is a bit slower then my TFO but I can adjust my casting style so I dont think its me either.

I have built 10 forecast blanks ,5 2p and 5 3p . all have cast great even the 8 1/2 foot 4 wt. but i like the 9ft 4 wt the best. i made up the grip from rings,single foot guides, short wraps and varnish. sorry to hear about a bad one but have a w-----n that is a dog,,so it can happen.it cost more than 25 forecast blanks. lol..

I'll try another line if that fails I'll junk the rod and buy another kit. Or I'll try another type of blank.

I have only built on one Forecast blank(7'9" 3wt), it's a very nice casting rod, and I have only heard positive reviews of their blanks.
    Is it possible that you received a mislabeled blank, and it's really a 6 wt? You can run a Common Cents test on the finished rod to determine the line weight. You can find the information over on rodbuilding.org, top left link will take you to the CCS database where you can purchase a copy of all the articles explaining the system and how to run the test (very simple) for $4.00. Before I junked the rod, I'd test it. After all, you have invested some money and a lot of time in the build.

Blog Entries

I just fished my Forecast 9' 5wt for the first time a couple weekends ago. This is the first rod I have built myself. It is a nice rod. Nymph and dropper mostly, even chucked a streamer pretty far. Not as fast as my Legend Ultra, but the Legend stayed in the tube all weekend.

+ Reply to Thread