+ Reply to Thread

Thread: extended body?

Question extended body?

Please help me, every time I try to furl an extended body out of antron yarn, I wind up with just a loop instead of a nice tight extended body??? Someone please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

JohnScott.....your assistance is required!

Are you tying it directly on the hook first or off the hook then attaching to the hook?

Off hand I'd say you just have to be sure that you do a tight twist of the antron and maintain it as you lay the two legs over each other. Check out John Scott's FOTW posts on extended bodies.

Funny you should mention that, John's FEB hopper is what I was working on. We've already PMed a little, I just hated to start bothering him. I was trying to tie it straight on the hook, because I don't have any of the electrician clips in John's FOTW. I'm fairly sure I'm holding my mouth wrong, but who knows.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Jason, twist one end to the right and the other end to the left at the same time (there's a word for that but I can't spell simultaneously). Or clamp on end in your vise or hemostats and twist the free end, encourage the end point with a pointed object. Or (#2) have your wife or son do it, small hands vs large hands.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-28-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jason

Here is my method (YMMV).

Tie one end of the extended body material to the hook. take the other end and twist it fairly tight. Hold the body material in your left hand and grab your bodkin. Place the bodkin on the body material at the length you want the body. Bring the body material towards the front of the hook around the bodkin. The body should furl and end at the bodkin. Tie the other end to the hook and continue on with the fly. It is easier to do than it is to write.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

If you get a loop then extend the yarn back and twist it some more.
    Tight bodies take alot of twists.

Rick

I don't tye many 'furled' flies but I would attach one end to the hook (tightly) and then Twist, Twist, Twist. As Jason suggested, place bodkin or pin at the length you want the extension and allow the furl to fold over. If not tight enough, open up the extension and twist some more.
    Sounds like the Chubby Checker song - 'Let's Twist Again', lol.

Allan

That worked Brad! thanks, to everybody! I really appreciate it, I was getting pretty frustrated.

thanks again,
    hNt

+ Reply to Thread