+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop Up Campers

Default Pop Up Campers

If you ever contemplate buying a pop up camper, I strongly encourage you to check out the hard-sided A-Frame design ones made by companies like Aliner and Chalet. They do not have as much floor space as the canvase sided ones, but have several advantages:

*One person can erect one in under a minute and have it fully set up with stabilizers down in about 3 minutes.
    * The sides and roof have insulation, making them quieter, easier to heat and AC or fan cool, and somewhat more bear-resistant than canvas ones.
    * They can be "put away wet", without much concern about mold.
    * The very high ceiling peak and clear/hard plexiglass windows prevent claustrophobia.

They come in a variety of sizes and configurations and offer a wide list of optinal features. I've really enjoyed mine!

They also don't have a shower, toilet and limited cooking facilities. I have seen some and talked with their owners. They are defiantly not for most folks.

It seems you're not contemplating buying a pop-up. I don't think I am either but if you were.........
    Just joking around
    Peter

I liked my pop-up. That is until I was awakened at 4 in the morning and told the rain has caused a flood and I have to evacuate. My fishing stuff had been in the car so I quickly dressed, got my dog in the car and went to the Roscoe Diner. Soon a lot of folks who also had to evacuate where they had been showed up. A day later, after the flood waters had receded, I went back to campgrounds and found my camper wrapped around a tree. I think that was 2004 and the first of I think 4 floods that were considered 100 year floods. Oh well.

Allan

Why even bother having to set anything up ... just simply park this little bugger and open the door and your in business!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Why even bother having to set anything up ... just simply park this little bugger and open the door and your in business!

How tall is this inside? I have been thinking of building a teardrop trailer to pull behind my little truck but I have to be able to stand up inside to pull my pants up! This looks like it might be a bit larger than the average teardrop with the kitchen in the back end.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Narco, my post only applies if you are thinking of buying a pop up camper --not a Class A, 5th wheel, or full sized trailer. You can get hard-sided pop ups with showers (inside or out) and permanent bathrooms. Mine has a furnace and AC, H&C running water, a 3-burner gas stove, a refrigerator and a small porta-potty. I carry a microwave in it for when I am hitched up to an electric outlet. (Also needed to run the AC.) There's a double bed in back and a small dining table with benches in front that converts to a sleeping bag-sized bed. I can tow it with a mid-sized SUV, easily see over the top of it in the rear view mirror, and suffer relatively little in reduced MPG.

Dale, I'm sure your camper is perfect for you and I am definitely not knocking it. It wouldn't work for me because I am both tall and claustrophobic. Conversely, I've seen others in RV parks happily camping in rigs that look much like yours, but 1/2 the size. We all find the one that is right for us and rejoice in no longer sleeping in a tent --even as others think tenting is the only way to go.

Oldfrat, well said. We have a fabric sided popup and the wife loves it. I still yearn for nights in a tent. Especially my one person single wall... camping styles are much like rod and reel choices. Very personal.

5'10" interior height, since I'm 5'11" that's no problem. The kitchen is in the front on this model but some have the kitchen aft and on the outside.

Dale, I'm sure your camper is perfect for you and I am definitely not knocking it. It wouldn't work for me because I am both tall and claustrophobic. Conversely, I've seen others in RV parks happily camping in rigs that look much like yours, but 1/2 the size. We all find the one that is right for us and rejoice in no longer sleeping in a tent --even as others think tenting is the only way to go.
    Has as much floor space as an Aliner or Chalet so it would not be any more claustropobic then those. Don't know how tall you are but I can manage just fine. But in the final analysis the reason for going smaller is to sleep up off the ground and provide a shelter from the elements. If space is the major concern then maybe something like a 30' TT or 5th wheeler would be the route to go. Also, if towing size and weight are of the primary concern, then a popup camper outshines them all for interior space when opened up. AND ... I've not heard of (of course it may have happened), of a bear dragging someone out of a popup camper like I heard happening with a regular tent.

+ Reply to Thread