+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what do i need

Default what do i need

besides all of the different components for the actual rod, what is every thing that i need to build a rod. Keep in mind that i have absolutely no idea of what goes into building a rod.

If you can tie flies, which you can, you can wrap a rod. Basics? You'll need a rattail rasp to fit the cork handle. A roll of masking tape. A cardboard box that you'll cut corresponding V's into the left and right side. I used a fly tying thread bobbin and poked a hole into the base of the box and that worked just fine. Some folks like to put their thred into a little bowl then run it through a dictionairy to create tension. I went with the bobbin instead. My wife's grandfather gave us a very old rotissarie he used to do about seven chickens at one time. I use it to rotor my rod while the epoxy sets. works perfectly. I use little bushes I get for about a quarter from an auto parts supplier that folks use in soldering to apply my epoxy. Stiff and about the right width for a wrap. You can spends scads, but you can build one easily by making do. I built three rods before Wrangler loaned me a rod wrap thing he got at Cabelas for about $30 or so. It is way more convenient but you can make do very easily. Hope this helps. JGW

Most of the things you will need you already have or are fairly incidental. Razor blades, sandpaper, masking tape, ruler etc. About the only unusual thing you will need is a rattail file to ream cork and reel seats to fit the blank and a file and/or stone to dress the guide feet. After you have made a few rods you will end up with a drying motor to turn the rod, winding jigs (store bought or home built), maybe a Dremel for all kinds of stuff, and all sorts of neat tools jigs and fixtures. You can absolutly build a rod ( and do a quality job of it too)without any of this stuff, but they can make the job easier and lets face it toys can be part of the fun.
    AgMD

+ Reply to Thread